Program Emma doesnt work

hello.
I have a question about Emma. in the website, sailfish talks about downloading Emma if we want to go back to androidOS , but when downloading Emma, Sony doesnt allowed you to use it if you are not a professional??? so how we should do it then?

The site https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/flash-tool/download-flash-tool/ does not mention the word professional…

1 Like

3rd answer here -

1 Like

For completeness on the issue of flashing, I guess we should note that there are flash tools other than Emma which can be used, e.g. Xperifirm/Flashtool (could provide links but would prefer the more experienced to do this if demanded.)

For Sony Xperia XA2 and later, I think that you will find Androxyde Flashtool superceded by NewFlasher which is a lot simpler to utilise (provided you don’t mind losing your data as further intervention required to save it), although still requiring Xperifirm within Flashtool to obtain firmware images:https://www.teamandroid.com/2019/08/30/download-newflasher-xperia-flash-tool/

3 Likes

I don’t know if I would call it simpler. It depends on what you’re familiar with. Androxyde’s Flashtool provides many more options, and could seem more overwhelming in that way, but it’s also much more gui-ish, which is nicer in a way, plus, as you said, you need Xperifirm for Newflasher anyway, so I prefer Flashtool.
BTW - I say this as a long-time fan and follower of munjeni, going back to my first Z1 Compact on KitKat, (he’s the dev behind Newflasher), so I have no negativity towards it at all.

@Levone1
First ran into problems using Flashtool with Xperia 10 I3113 as there is only an .fsc for I4113 Dual Sim in devices database hence had to use NewFlasher; you may however know workaround for this. Unfortunately despite Xperia 10 camera working under both Android 10 & 9 under Sailfish OS there was just a “black screen” and re-installing jolla-camera to no avail.

True - the fsc issue can be a roadblock… I have seen reports that sometimes the flash script from one device works for another, but I’m sure it’s risky… My preference for Flashtool could be simply based on the fact that I haven’t used it for any newer phone than my XZ2C, and there are fsc files for it. Probably part of munjeni’s motivation in it.

@aspergerguy - http://www.flashtool.net/fsccreate.php

1 Like

@Levone1
Thanks for the link which I have tried previously although Sony PC Companion not valid for Xperia series. Whilst I could get the gist of logging process from Russian video, the .fsc that I generated from software re-installation wasn’t valid unfortunately.

1 Like

I had this issue once with Xperia X, and the reason was that I didn’t use the correct EMMA download. When I downloaded the one directly linked at in Sailfish installation instructions, there was no authentication requirement. I guess they are device model dependent.

Ini tricks did not help me with the wrong one either.

1 Like

For those who would be curious/stubborn enough to try: no, Emma does not work running on Wine for Linux - it starts, but then complains about being only compatible with Win 8.1 or later. Furthermore, Wine won’t run (as of this writing) in MacOS Catalina or later so that’s also a dead end.

Did somebody really have any success flashing with emma? I don’t know what I’m doing wrong here.
I have my Windows sets up with correct drivers as I Was able to install SFOS on Xperia 10 II, but Emma?It does not see my phone when I follow the instruction.

I decided to run back to XA2 as 10 II is very fragile and doesnt sutis my needs.

I need to send it back to shop using 14-days return policy to get my money back

So I have like 3 days left and I cannot flash to android, any help?

When you connect in flash mode, what shows up in device manager?

Be aware that for Emma, it is the DOWN Vol. button , not the UP one, like when you flash SF.
The light should be green.
When you plug the phone like this, does Windows signal something? It should beep or display a message that the phone is found.

But are you sure you can give back a phone where you flashed another OS and reverted?
When you unlock the bootloader, you definitively remove stuff like DRM or something, i believe.
Also, there is a count of number of reslashes e.g. displayed in Emma.
So, the phone will not be in it’s initial state any more.

2 Likes

@ric9k It is down vol, I followed official Jolla instruction here

Windows does not signal anything, @Levone1 it’s something like Android ADB, not sure, gonna check it out once Im home again and let you know

Im not sure but gonna try it anyway. If it doesnt work with seller I will try to sell that phone anyway so flashing to android is necessary? Or maybe someone want to buy it? Is there an official WTS WTB sailfish forum section?

Generic ADB Interface, is that wrong?

When I connect my XA2 to the computer via Volume Down nothing sounds and the device is not displayed via USB either. Only in the device manager it says SOMC Flash Device. Then I install Emma and Emma recognizes my XA2 directly. It offers me the option for a firmware update and software update content erase for Android versions 8 and 9 respectively.

1 Like

I think you want something like “SOMC flash device”. Go to ‘update driver’ ‘pick from list’ and scroll down mfr. list to Sony Mobile and see what’s there.
You may need to disable driver signing…

1 Like

Thank you very much! Indeed changing driver to SOMC flash device worked just fine even without driver signing. Never considered it myslef, so good we have people like you!

I wonder, maybe it should be mentioned in official sailfish manual on how to flash back to android? This kind of knowledge could be useful

1 Like