Process "sdcard" keeps CPU busy and causes battery drain

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): ?
BUILD ID: 3.3.0.16
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Xperia 10 dual SIM non +
UI LANGUAGE:German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?):

DESCRIPTION:

At times, I observe a tremendous battery drain with the Xperia 10 even after all apps are closed and data connections are off (Wifi and mobile data switched off). It is about 20% to 30% battery drain in 5 hours with a device that should be almost fully idle (except for telephony). This occurred a couple of times now.
Today I looked at “top” with fingerterm and found that two (!) processes called “sdcard” took about 80% CPU capacity while there was no apparent access to the SDcard. I manually killed the two processes with the kill command and battery drain is s low as it should be. SDcard is still accessible thereafter (no new mounting required).

The SDcard is not encrypted, while “home” is encrypted

I will now try to figure out the precondtions and try to reproduce the problem.

Maybe someone can tell me what the process “sdcard” does? I guess it not only affectes cpu capacity and battery drain bu also weas the SDcard.

I did not observe this problem wth the XA2

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

EXPECTED RESULT:

ACTUAL RESULT:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

2 Likes

Is someone trying to index your sd card? Is any syncing active? Sd card is OK?

@4carlos: I am not aware of any synching neither do I know about any indexing. What bothered my is that it were two processes called “sdcard” that were active and both caused quite some CPU load. However, I am thinking of replacing the SDcard by a new one because even if it is still OK it might fail due to too many cycles in case the processes “sdcard” caused a lot of reading and/or writing.

Thank you for caring!

I would also suggest trying another SD card.

I am seeing this also, and it only appears when Android Support is running.

It does go away after a while though, so I suspect it’s one of the Android processes doing some indexing or such.

Xperia 10 Dual SIM, Rokua

Note: I am not even using an SD Card in this device, but I suspect this process is about emulating the sdcard expected by Android, and does not have anything to do with the physical card.

[EDIT:] Yep, from doing a strings call on the binary I’m quite sure it’s some version of this program which is Google’s sdcardfs mounter.

The exact process is called:

/system/bin/sdcard -f -u 100000 0g 1023 -U 0 /mnt/media_rw/sailfishos_storage sailfishos_storage

Some preliminary debugging:

root@Xperia10:nemo # ps -ef | grep [s]dcard
nemo     24658 24187 34 15:16 ?        00:01:16 /system/bin/sdcard -f -u 100000 -g 1023 -U 0 /mnt/media_rw/sailfishos_storage sailfishos_storage
root@Xperia10:nemo # strace -p 24658
strace: Process 24658 attached
read(11, ^Cstrace: Process 24658 detached
<detached ...>
root@Xperia10:nemo # ls /proc/24658/fd/11 -la
lr-x------    1 root     root            64 Aug 28 15:21 /proc/24658/fd/11 -> anon_inode:inotify
2 Likes

@nephros: I guess you are right. I observed a process called “c.process.media” that apparently has invoked the process “sdcard”. I could not kill the process “c.process.media” as user “nemo” but stopping Android support also made “c.process.media” disappear

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same. The processes sdcard and d.process.media (which should probably be android.process.media) take significant amounts of CPU. This happens after starting the Android support. They will go away after a few minutes. If I restart the Android layer, the same happens again.

Here is a typical top display a couple of minutes after starting Android support:

I’m using Xperia XA2, SFOS 3.4.0.24. No SD card inserted (but as others have mentioned, this isn’t really about physical SD cards).

1 Like

Same here with Xperia 10 and 3.4.0.24. Losing 30% Battery overnight in flight mode (+wifi-off). SD-card is inserted but not mounted.
I also noticed android.process.media and sdcard are constantly running with 5-20% CPU so the device almost never goes to deep sleep.

Side note: there are processes like android.hardware.graphics.com and android.hardware.sensores@1.0-service which are active even after android support was stopped.

1 Like

The problem is that the processes d.process.media and sdcard do not stop running at all thus causing a constant battery drain. Therefore I looked which android processes might run in the background and found MicroG settings running and DB Navigator (German Railway App) although I did not start any of these. Maybe it is one of these that prevents d.process.media from stopping. I will deinstall DB Navigator and see …