Private&secure email?

I should have spesified private, secure and free as I don’t have any income right now. And by private I don’t mean payments, I just want a reputable provider that doesn’t analyze all my messages and sell to advertisers. What comes to crypto, I don’t think privacy aspect offsets the enviromental effects of mining. And I don’t think all money traffic should be completely anonymous and secret.

3 Likes

That’s right, but you only get limited storage.
Servers cost money and someone has to pay for it.

you may be naive by thinking that using crypto makes it private or secure.
the only anonymous way of payment is cash. everything else is traceable
Also using Sailfish is traceable

basically use a paper and a pen and burn after reading - that’s it!

Man, they use screen analyzers/readers when needed - if you need privacy and security, do not do anything online that may breach it or take the risk and limit the damage.

4 Likes

I would say, vivaldi mail, it’s free and they do not spy on you, also they are iceland based where privacy policies seems to be stricter (or so they say)

Anyway i use it and it’s working good with sailfish :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re using exchanges sure, but you can buy crypto with cash. You don’t really need any payment (crypto or cash) if you’re using tutanota/proton, as long as you’re communicating with another user on their service (shame not between them), having fully encrypted mailbox is crucial as sooner or later the company can be bought out, and new privacy policies (or owners) might not be to your liking, encryption helps with that. Kinda surprised it’s not standard at this point

But what it’s worth if 95+% of your contacts are at gmail/outlook anyway? (just asking)

You can only protect yourself, the 5% should be fine, even if google/ms buy out proton/tutanota they will still not be able to access your data (in theory at least)

Even if you buy crypto with cash, your payment address is public. You may get pseudonymity but no anonymity.

If you make one purchase for cash for a new wallet that you use for one transaction it should be fine

What is the point of using sailfish if 90% of people is using apple/android? It is not easy to change peoples minds because people are lazy and busy with work/life. Even if they are concerned about privacy, they may not have the energy to change their ways. With example and time there is at least a chance. By giving up happens nothing. There is a fine line between optimism and foolishness, but so is with realism and self feeding skeptisism.

1 Like

Do the Transistion step-by-step like i did. Replace every Service/App with a native/browser-Website. I took a Photo-TAN-Generator to get rid of the Android-App-Enforcement, so i could use it on my Linux Notebook too and are undependent from a certain OS. If there are no replacement change the Service.

Its possible but its honest work.

I think the difference between the choice of privacy friendly email provider and use of privacy friendly mobile OS is that in the use of the former the choice of provider of your communication partner plays a role as well, while the choice of your mobile OS might bring the result you are hoping for.

I have read this on their webpage:
"The free account of Proton does not support IMAP & POP. Setting them up requires the Proton Bridge which belongs to the paid services. "

2 Likes

Mailfence (mailfence.com)
Sync your e-mail, calendar and contacts with SFOS Exchange Support
Privacy oriented provider, MFA, integration with own domain.
15% of payments g to EFF.org

I think they are similar cases, the usability of os is very dependent on how many people are using it and developing apps. Privacy is useless on a phone that is unusable. And I do think when people see emails that are not gmail/outlook they are like “wait, there are other alternatives?”

I might do that but the point is to get notifications from emails. Besides, I have grown quite fond of the ui in native apps and the only browser I use is firefox, I simply cannot live without it.

What do you guys mean here by “private and secure”? As far as I understand, Sailfish’s email client only supports IMAP and POP3, and both of those protocols expose the text of the messages unencrypted to the mail server. So you can’t really have private mail on Sailfish without using third-party programs.

2 Likes

SFOS mail client does support IMAP SSL/TLS (and STARTTLS) and POP3 SSL/TLS.

1 Like

Yes, and that’s all an end-user can do. The whole server stuff relies to the provider.
A real solution could only be an end-to-end encryption, that is strongly combatted and in danger to be prohibited by EU regulations, (there are permanently some intents to completely make this illegal).

edit: a ‘private’ e-mail only helps with friends that have the same secutity standard. For general use, what does it help if the other party has a gmail or outlook address?

2 Likes

I have invite code for cock.li
mail account…
searching invite code for systemli.org

anyone can help?