Please help me find a new device

You literally have no choice:
Volla - all phones are of the size of a frying pane.
Xperias - smaller than Volla, slimmer so better one hand handling/usage, still bad but …
Xperia 10 - everything works except of the touchscreen which has ghost touch issues, this is the biggest and only problem with this phone. It occurs on Android and SFOS.
Xperia 10 II - 3rd party caller may hear their own voice echo;The sidetone feature is not perfectly calibrated, and sidetone volume can be a bit high in wired accessories during voice calls; Mobile data does not work in 2G and 3G networks on SIM #2.;
Xperia 10 III - same as Xperia 10 II plus audio may be lost.

So in general, right now there’s no fully usable officially supported by SFOS phone.

I am writing this on my daily driver, a 10 III, last SF OS, German Vodafone SIM, roaming in Stockholm.

Lost audio did happen. Reboot and forget about it. It doesn’t happen to often.

Echo…sometimes due to my phone, sometimes due to the phone on the other side.

Navigation through Europe, music on the car stereo? Android with fennec, Signal, Threema? Works.

I had the X, the XA2 before. I am quite happy with my phone since the roaming issues seem to be gone. (Reboot after crossing borders seems to be mandatory again.)

Getting one might not be easy.

3 Likes

so it happens - then it means phone is unusable as you never know when the audio will get lost. Next time it could be when the phone should wake you up for a train.

We already made some conversations in the past and based on that I can say that your expectations regarding working phone are on the very basic level. Maybe you care only about internet - fine. But I expect the phone to be a first a phone, the internet is just add on.

Please stay on topic here, as I’m trying to find a new device.

Losing audio is an annoying bug that has to get fixed. Phantom touches by the touchscreen is a no-go either. If something is broken, fix it or have it fixed and don’t work around it. And since I want to find a device that is at least 99.9 % working those faults are nothing I want, because they will annoy me to death.

I’ve had the audio bug twice on XIII in 14 months of usage, some people just blow some bugs out of proportions (or maybe some app they use is causing it to happen more often?) Less than once half a year is definitely not ‘less than basic level’ my android using friends have more painful bugs occurring much more often (having to restart weekly), now try pinephone/pureos where issues with calls are on the daily level and you have less than basic level sure

2 Likes

This topic sadly highlights the perpetual HW problem we have with SFOS.

It’s mostly SW, my company iPhone already had a huge bug with internet connectivity/vpn just stuck on downloading Teams update, as I’m expected to be available on Teams all the time and it just wouldn’t update (M$ ships updates for it every 2-3 days, same for outlook app) it caused a catastrophic unavailability, iPhones are just not ready for primetime yet if someone concentrates on this specific bug (or maybe vpn, or M$ is at fault, still a critical bug, how could someone use iPhones kek)

1 Like

Two times in 14 month is less than 99,9 % reliability. We should strive for more.

2 Likes

You can fix SW sooner or later, or unofficially patch it or whatever. The SW is mostly Opens Source. Not being able to easily buy and use -without having to install stuff yourself- a piece of HW is bad. From my POV at least. If your iphone breaks you can easily buy one from a store down the street or something.

Finding a SFOS phone is a bit more trouble than that.

I am not saying that there are no SW related issues with SFOS that need to be solved (both bugs and tings that spoil the UX) but not having readily and easily available HW trumps each and every one of them.

2 Likes

The audio can get lost when trying to receive or make a call. The phone rings normally and it reliably wakes me up each and every morning.

what a relief, it will wake me up but I may not be able to use it but hey… isn’t phone basic functionality… calling which require you to hear the other side?
Well if I wouldn’t need that functionality I’d definitively get some tablet or laptop but hey I need a phone!

@x2s I’m using the Xperia 10 and yes the ghost touches are nightmare. Some peoples mentioned that replacing screen fixes the issue. The problem is that the phone is a bit to weaky if you know what I mean. The ghost touches are bigger if you’re putting it in the back pocket of your jeans for example.

Funnily enough fixing the super scary bug you’ve never experienced is as hard as typing ‘pulseaudio -k’ in terminal and was fixed in 5 seconds for me vs restarting iPhone that takes a minute plus another two for downloading the mandatory update for teams, so downtime of seconds vs minutes, but go ahead and scare people of from using xperia 10 III, your experience with 10 mark 1 is surely great basis for such statements (FUD)

1 Like

You were babbling about missing a train because of a lack of audio one post ago.

But, I think you are right. That’s what it all is about anyway.

Please stay on topic.

I’m afraid the topic currently steered into: spreading FUD about latest xperia devices running SFOS (because a bug was reported on the forum and people without even experience of it claim it’s a dealbreaker, in that way all sony phones are out of the question even with android, see: Some perspective on the other side, cherrypicking a bug is just great, as mentioned before android and iOS also fail the test, time to go back to landlines where no SW bugs can happen). At least for me XIII with .21 is pretty much as stable and reliable as Jolla C was and I recommend it fully

2 Likes

I had this ghosttouch issues on a xz2c, which is available with 3 different touch screen, one of them causes the issue (aosp bug). On x10+ the problem was shutting down caused a reboot very often. Another option would be the pinephone, it has volte by hardware and is running on 5.X kernel i guess…

1 Like

Recommendation: 10 III, no hacks, no patches. There are some at Amazon and ebay.

They are completely unusable. Like the iPhone and Android. I’ve had no phone without some more or less serious bugs. Complain or live with it. :wink:

4 Likes

I fully agree, I know from some friends that they experience annoying bugs on Android as well and had to restart the phone or turn on/off airplane mode to workaround it.
Considering that Sony doesn’t officially support SFOS, Jolla did a pretty good job.
Btw recently I had to buy a new phone and I got a 10 III. If you want to stick to SFOS it’s a nobraino since 10 III is the latest supported model. Everything else is just guess work imo.

4 Likes

I recommend the Sony xz2 compact with Community Port of SailfishOS. A small Powerhorse, a bit more faster than the 10 III in terms of Benchmarks.

It might be a good time to urge Jolla to look at different form factors. Whilst 21:9 is allegedly coming back again, it’s still a No from me. XA2 was perfect.

Maybe my prediction of 10 iv port will make an appearance. Maybe Saarnio will try to release App Support more generally (though sold as-is, without technical support).