Phone bricked after successful update to 3.4.0.22

I also experience that my X Compact gets stuck while powering off, and it runs super hot. Waiting around five minutes doesn’t seem to help, so I have to force reboot with power and vol+ buttons. Also noticed that systemd (PID 1 and one other systemd process) were using a lot of CPU before it happened. Some other processes (don’t remember which right now) also contributed to high CPU use, but PID 1 was worst. This doesn’t start directly after a reboot, but comes after a while. Haven’t yet seen any correlation with anything else I do on the phone, or if it just starts spontaneously after some time. If I don’t wait for those processes to havoc, rebooting works just fine without getting stuck.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, Vol up + power successfully restarted my phone more than once and then I can boot as usual, go through security code and use the phone as usual. So at the moment I will not be rebooting… Let’s see if there is a fix for this. I will be monitoring CPU usage and phone temperature.

Yep, seems like the phone hangs when trying to reboot normally.

1 Like

Still can’t using Recovery Mode, but now I have normal SSH connection (192.168.2.15), but all commands like pkcon refresh/remove and version --dup only makes errors, ie:

pkcon refresh
Failed to contact PackageKit: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PackageKit: Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)

[root@Sailfish nemo]# version --dup
REFRESHING CACHE AND DOWNLOADING PACKAGES
Error: Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)
Finished transaction (status=2, runtime=0ms)
UPGRADE NOT COMPLETE - Retry 1 of 9
Waiting 1 seconds before retry.
REFRESHING CACHE AND DOWNLOADING PACKAGES

…and still only SONY logo…

2 Likes

Same here. The packagekit.service fails to load, also on a restart attempt. The journal tells me

Sep 30 18:20:12 Sailfish packagekitd[5805]: /usr/libexec/packagekitd: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.63: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When I logged in via ssh there was a similar line of output:

flatpak: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.63: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I had the flatpak parts installed, but also removed since. Seems like there are some leftovers though.

In my case I found what caused the problem. When I start Pure Maps, it tries to get map tiles from OSM Scout Server, but that apparently was uninstalled due to missing libicuuc.so.63, and systemd keeps trying to start it. The journal is full of the following lines over and over:

systemd[2115]: osmscout-server.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
systemd[2115]: osmscout-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
systemd[2115]: osmscout-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[2115]: Started OSM Scout Server.
# and
systemd[23709]: osmscout-server.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/bin/harbour-osmscout-server: No such file or directory

~/.config/systemd/user/osmscout-server.service is still left, even if OSM Scout Server has been uninstalled. I will remove this service file and use some other maps until a new OSM Scout Server is available.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this investigation and the post, I can confirm after removing the osmcout-server.service my phone is now “fixed”. Let me elaborate a bit, I was only using the Phonebook app that introduces overlays and have removed it before the updating after seeing the posts.

Symptoms I saw after the upgrade:

• Phone doesn’t shutdown, gets stuck with red LED, only solution was vol UP + power
  • Jolla App store informed me that I have no apps installed - there was a critical error accessing app registry
  • OpenRepos was not starting at all
  • SSH wasn’t working
  • Setting changes were not applied, the default values remained

After deleting the osmscout-server.service file (via the File Browser) and restarting the phone with the VolUP+power button all of the problems seem to have gone so far (apart from OpenRepos not opening). I can even shutdown the phone properly. Therefore I have accepted your answer as a solution. Thank you for saving me from a re-flash…

Have the same issue. In my case it’s always triggered by playing the game Clash of Clans.

1 Like

I’ve also had a hard time upgrading my Xperia XA2 from 3.3.0.16 to 3.4.0.22 today. The usual update via the settings aborted, leaving the phone in an unusable state. The phone booted, but the screen stayed blank after the warning about unlocked boot loader and the SONY logo. Fortunately I had ssh access enabled and knew the password, so via devel-su I could try to fix things.

lipstick didn’t start, so that’s the reason for the blank screen.

First I had to upgrade the PackageKit packages like this:
cd /home/.pk-zypp-dist-upgrade-cache/jolla/mw/armv7hl
rpm -U Pack*
systemctl start packagekit
ssu re 3.4.0.22
version --dup
-> Error: Medium not attached: plugin:/ssu?repo=adaptation0

I copied the “ssu” file from /usr/lib/zypp/plugins/urlresolver to /usr/libexec/zypp/plugins/urlresolver.

Then I played around a long time upgrading most packages via rpm using the .rpm files in the mentioned directory. Finally, version --dup started working, even though it took a long time.

Not everything is back to normal, but at least the phone is usable again. Well, that cost me a lot of time and nerves.

storeman doesn’t work yet.

The screen blanks when I try to modify the name of a folder on the home screen, and when entering the password for ownKeepass (fortunately, the on screen keyboard remains visible and usable), and in other apps as well. This can be fixed by disabling OKboard.

1 Like

My Xperia X failed during the upgrade and and only gave me the option to reboot. After reboot I had no GUI, just a blank screen.

SSH-ing into the phone I found that the packagekit service was not running, and therefore ssu re 3.4.0.22; version --dup would fail. To get the packagekit service to start I manually upgraded rpm packages through use of the local cache: [root@Sailfish home]# rpm -Uvh ./.zypp-cache/packages/jolla/mw/armv7hl/PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.4.jolla.armv7hl.rpm ./.zypp-cache/packages/jolla/mw/armv7hl/PackageKit-1.1.13+git9-1.14.4.jolla.armv7hl.rpm

Then I could start the daemon: systemctl start packagekit

And the above did the trick along with a few more rounds of ssu re 3.4.0.22; version --dup and reboots.

3 Likes

My last update to 3.4.0.24 (from 3.4.0.22) went smoothly, and I haven’t encountered any obvious problems yet. So, thumbs up for this latest update.

Hi,
I found some packagekit packs but the do not install.
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# rpm -Uvh PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm
warning: PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f2633ee0: NOKEY
error: Failed dependencies:
PackageKit = 1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla is needed by PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl
PackageKit-zypp = 1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla is needed by (installed) PackageKit-1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla.armv7hl
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# rpm -Uvh PackageKit-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm
warning: PackageKit-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f2633ee0: NOKEY
PackageKit-zypp = 1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla is needed by PackageKit-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl
PackageKit = 1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla is needed by (installed) PackageKit-glib-1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla.armv7hl
PackageKit = 1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla is needed by (installed) PackageKit-zypp-1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla.armv7hl
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# rpm -Uvh PackageKit-Qt5-0.9.6+git-1.5.1.jolla.armv7hl.rpm
warning: PackageKit-Qt5-0.9.6+git-1.5.1.jolla.armv7hl.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f2633ee0: NOKEY
Preparing… ################################# [100%]
Updating / installing…
1:PackageKit-Qt5-0.9.6+git-1.5.1.jo################################# [ 50%]
Cleaning up / removing…
2:PackageKit-Qt5-0.9.6+git-1.4.1.jo################################# [100%]
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# rpm -Uvh PackageKit-glib-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm
warning: PackageKit-glib-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f2633ee0: NOKEY
PackageKit = 1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla is needed by PackageKit-glib-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# rpm -Uvh PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm
warning: PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f2633ee0: NOKEY
PackageKit = 1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla is needed by PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl
PackageKit-zypp = 1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla is needed by (installed) PackageKit-1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla.armv7hl
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]#
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# rpm -Uvh PackageKit-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm
warning: PackageKit-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f2633ee0: NOKEY
PackageKit-zypp = 1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla is needed by PackageKit-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl
PackageKit = 1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla is needed by (installed) PackageKit-glib-1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla.armv7hl
PackageKit = 1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla is needed by (installed) PackageKit-zypp-1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla.armv7hl
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# rpm -Uvh PackageKit-Qt5-0.9.6+git-1.5.1.jolla.armv7hl.rpm
warning: PackageKit-Qt5-0.9.6+git-1.5.1.jolla.armv7hl.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f2633ee0: NOKEY
Preparing… ################################# [100%]
package PackageKit-Qt5-0.9.6+git-1.5.1.jolla.armv7hl is already installed
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# systemctl start packagekit
Job for packagekit.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status packagekit.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# [root@Sailfish armv7hl]# systemctl start packagekit
bash: [root@Sailfish: command not found
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# Job for packagekit.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status packagekit.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.

Hi, @shults.

In the terminal search with find à la:

find /home/.zypp-cache/ -name 'PackageKit-*'

Thank you I found them but the do not work.

It should be both packages as parameters to one rpm command, not two successive rpm commands with only one rpm file as parameter.

I tried:
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# rpm -Uvh ./home/.zypp-cache/packages/jolla/mw/armv7hl/PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm ./home/.zypp-cache/packages/jolla/mw/armv7hl/PackageKit-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm
error: open of ./home/.zypp-cache/packages/jolla/mw/armv7hl/PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm failed: No such file or directory
error: open of ./home/.zypp-cache/packages/jolla/mw/armv7hl/PackageKit-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm failed: No such file or directory
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]# rpm -Uvh /home/.zypp-cache/packages/jolla/mw/armv7hl/PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm /home/.zypp-cache/packages/jolla/mw/armv7hl/PackageKit-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm
warning: /home/.zypp-cache/packages/jolla/mw/armv7hl/PackageKit-zypp-1.1.13+git9-1.14.5.jolla.armv7hl.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f2633ee0: NOKEY
[root@Sailfish armv7hl]#

No . before /home/….

Tried, no success. It says that another version is already installed or something… "

Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f2633ee0: NOKEY
PackageKit = 1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla is needed by (installed) PackageKit-glib-1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla.armv7hl ". In your post the version of the two rpms is …1.14.1 but I have 1.14.5.

OK, the version numbers of the packages I listed are from the Early Access (EA) version. They might have changed in the final release, as it most likely is a newer build.

Tracking down dependencies with rpm instead of zypper/PackageKit is cumbersome, and your device’s state might be different from what mine was at the time of the error. So, it’s a tad difficult to guide you, but you need to track down the dependencies, search the cache for needed packages, and install them manually with rpm.

Where to search and how? The message say that "PackageKit = 1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla is needed by (installed) PackageKit-glib-1.1.9+git9-1.11.1.jolla.armv7hl "

I have done a say release to the new version, does this make any trouble?