Paid subscription to updates

Start selling merch

Same as poor musician have to do nowadays.

But it seems to work for them and it spreads the word

Some t shirts and hoodies for start

11 Likes

Not a bad idea! I would actually buy a t-shirt… as long as it’s not pink or red. :wink:

There was already a lot of interest in Sailfish T-shirts, but unfortunately nothing came of it.
Sailfish OS 3 T-shirts

1 Like

Jolla has done that already. We have a Jolla hat. Jolla had stickers, etc.
But this is all not serious. The product itself should be attractive to a wider public. Therefore, I cannot say that often enough, a device ready with Sailfish should be on the market. Is it only for tinkerers or is it also for your mum? Will it be suitable for refugees, ministers, teachers, nurses, builders? That’s the question. If Jolla believe it has something special that could be of use to everyone, make it attractive to everyone. Focus on privacy, safety and ease of use, on beauty. But do not keep it for a select public of tech experts.

8 Likes

The problem with providing hardware is that it moves Jolla away from their core expertise: making software.

They would probably have to hire someone(s) to acquire, flash & dispatch devices, to make how much profit, €50 each?
The retail price would have to be close to the cost of device + €50 license fee, otherwise a lot of people will just buy locally and download the release.
After selling the device, Jolla would have to provide a warranty, which Sony themselves won’t support as the bootloader is unlocked.

I don’t know if you remember the Jolla Tablet, but that was a big lesson for them. It cost a lot of goodwill with the community, and took them years to refund the sums owed back to backers

7 Likes

As the discussion drifts towards “other business models”, I take the opportunity to ask if there is any known reason for Jolla not selling outside EU? Purism sells hardware and services in USA, there is a market for alternative OSes. According to several users of the forum, the 10iii works, at least in big cities.

To make a connection to the topic… I think subscriptions in general have high degree of acceptance in USA.

The US is huge and entire regions use completely different wireless bands, even on the same carrier. For instance I am from a state in the middle of the country where there are four possible carriers. At&t, Verizion, T-Mobile, and US Cellular. Most of my state, Nebraska, is rural. And even in the two large cities, Omaha and Lincoln, none of the carriers use more than 1 or 2 bands that the 10II or 10III use. But states on the coasts use bands that have more overlap with the newer 10 series phones. I personally would be more than happy to spend 5-10 Euro to support Jolla and get official support (or at least volte) on a community device that is more realistic to use.

But why geoblocking the purchase? At the point of purchase, the user has the official device in hands, has checked it is good enough for their use case. Why would Jolla refuse to let them install and try the OS?

I thought there would be a legal reason, for example they only purchased the rights from Sony for the EU region, or political reasons due to the previous investors.

:person_facepalming:

Have you considered that other markets might have rules and legislation that Jolla can’t comply with; and/or has not yet figured out if they comply with?

Let’s take the basic big ones as an example: silly software patents and taxation. US companies do this all the time, and you rarely hear anyone complain - it’s just the way it is. If they at least pretend to try it is often good enough to keep those kind of issues at bay.

I’ll stop there because it’s getting off topic.

3 Likes

I would pay a subscription, but will also expect something in return.
I like the browser user interface but annoing as hell how it crashes all running apps.
Im forced to use android (fennec) to read a newspaper I subscibe, jolla browser simply cannot use their login system.
4g calling still in beta after now 2 years, I still cannot send sms unless switch it off.
Bluetooth LE, not supported properly. Everything moves away from traditional Bluetooth soon audio moved to LE as well.
Cant keep connection in standby using kuri heart rate. Amazfish I gave up getting to run.

I have been on the journey since N9 but sometimes I consider if it worth all the troubles or I should switch to some degoogle android instead.

2 Likes

I’m willing to pay yearly. In fact, I did so more or less during past few years. Jolla shop shows purchases in 2017, '19, '21, '23. SailfishOS is my daily driver for both private and business use.

I need Jolla in good shape or I’ll have to switch to the dark side some day…

So, Sailors: if you set up a voluntary contribution system, count me in.

2 Likes

I won’t insult you, but you can imagine

Julla has no consumer base to be able to sustain the cost related to producing the hardware.
They tried and almost went broke.

2 Likes

Preflashed is a must. Selling something that does not work out of the box is considered generally insane in the modern age – and Sailfish can be a hoop-jumping mess to get to work properly (with downgrading and non-data USB cables).

In the short term, Jolla should outsource it to the community. People should be buying old XA2s & 10 iiis off eBay, flashing them and selling them through the website. The market is probably small enough for one person to do part-time.

3 Likes

If you want pre flashed phones, there already is an option.

5 Likes

Drop the AI stuff from the marketing. It is not a mobile technology. It will end up the same way as crypto.

Focus on supporting and promoting open standards and protocols as opposed the walled high-gardens that are plaguing the internet today. Even the EU is supporting similar initiatives. Open banking APIs, payments, open identity management (id card, driver’s license, etc.), privacy and security.

Also I would totally buy some good quality SFOS merch :slight_smile: If some low grade youtuber channels can sell merch you can do it too. There were some really cool t-shirt designs in the past.

13 Likes

Don’t worry, I feel not insulted at all. I asked the question in 2020 and many different answers came. In the meantime the situation of Jolla has changed. A fresh start could be possible.

2 Likes

I now have my sim in a Volla phone. Everything works fine, a relief, except the AI on the replacement of apps. That’s a nuisance. I can’t organise the place of apps myself. Apps are constantly changing of place. Twice used an app means that it comes on the front page while I don’t use it anymore for a month. The apps are in alphabetical order, that’s the only way to find an app. This is an example of useless AI.

2 Likes

That’s one possibility. However Jolla as a company has to take care of it all, on the possibility of updates (Dalvik e.g.) and on the app store. Someone has to take responsibility for it.

1 Like

I know that. And Minelli is a reliable person. But really, he does that because Jolla refuses to do it. Jolla could hire him. You can’t expect from potential Jolla customers that they have to go to someone else in order to get a reflashed device.

3 Likes

My last words about this:
some are quite negative about the idea of another Jolla device, pointing to the tablet disaster. I was enthousiastic when the tablet was announced and I would fancy one again. The disaster was not entirely Jolla’s fault, it was also bad luck.
Why would Jolla not be able to do what Volla and Murena did? They are not full OS’s, but at least Jolla could seek advice.
Sailfish is the most advanced alternative OS there is and it would be a shame if it could not improve and find more customers.

5 Likes