Meanwhile Owlfish with “sunset to sunrise” option is out: Release Owlfish 1.1.0 · ccontino84/owlfish · GitHub
In the end I opted for detection from the timezone, plus ability to edit the coordinates manually. So no network access needed.
Remember to restart lipstick (or the phone) after the upgrade.
The problem is clear, the env var I use to inject the owlfish plugin is overriden immediately after I set it.
Try this workaround:
devel-su sh -c ‘echo QT_QPA_GENERIC_PLUGINS=evdevtouch,evdevmouse,evdevkeyboard,owlfish > /var/lib/environment/compositor/zz-owlfish.conf’
As usual reboot to ensure the change is effective.
If it works I could include a more robust fix in the next release.
no luck
![]()
PS Why is it not possible to paste text here?
I believe it has something to do with the quotes not being represented correctly when I pasted the command here using the phone.
To avoid mistakes, gain root access with “devel-su” alone and then execute the echo command: “echo QT_QPA_GENERIC_PLUGINS=evdevtouch,evdevmouse,evdevkeyboard,owlfish > /var/lib/environment/compositor/zz-owlfish.conf”
To check what’s in the file: “cat /var/lib/environment/compositor/zz-owlfish.conf”
Run “exit” to go back to the unprivileged session.
Still no go. Yes a problem with apostrophes and quotes, I found files like <owlfish.donf’>. I imagine this has to do with Pinephone/Tab which is fairly different from libhybris ports. As there are several apps that don’t run on the PT2 at the moment, it’s not worth pursuing. I’ll get back to you when it’s running a bit better, and I’ll contact the porter.
It’s a bit worrying that ports (or older versions of SFOS) can set the same environment variable to inject system plugins that are needed to make the phone working.
Luckily those plugins are loaded last, but to prevent potential issues I have released version 1.1.1 of Owlfish with some additional safety checks: Release Owlfish 1.1.1 · ccontino84/owlfish · GitHub
Now in case that variable is already set, it will tell you that your phone is not supported. You can still do the workaround manually at your own risk, in that case it should work.
Do you plan on releasing Owlfish on Openrepos/Chum/ Jolla Store?
I can probably release the next version (very soon) to openrepos now that the code is safer also for not supported devices, but jolla store is not an option, they don’t allow such applications by policy.
Chum could be an option in the future, but it requires someone to grant me an account and “review” the app. I can’t guarantee on that.
Owlfish 1.2 adds support for MediaTek’s PQ service on the Jolla Phone 2026, which means it doesn’t need the GPU anymore. The other phones fallback to the GPU renderer, which is a bit less performant.
This release can be found on GitHub: Release Owlfish 1.2.0 · ccontino84/owlfish · GitHub
And Openrepos (finally): Owlfish | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System