OTA Update to 4.5 crashes - What to do?

Can you open the file manually (with nano, as root) and check the file yourself? I had a similar issue once and there really was garbage on the line.

No, ssh isnā€™t possible - I donā€™t think its booting up far enough for the network stack to be operational. All I get is ā€˜host unreachableā€™. Iā€™ve sshā€™d into the phone successfully before, so I know all of the settings are right. I canā€™t even get the blue light to do a reflash, just the red one. I think it really is fried for good sadly, which would be a pity as it cost a lot of money and is only just over a year old. Iā€™m all out of ideas.

Funnily enough, I got my old ā€˜standby XA2ā€™ out of the drawer, and although it complained of literally hundreds of packages that needed to be removed (screens and screens of them) during the pre-upgrade check, which I completely ignored, the actual upgrade went very smoothly with no problems whatsoever. The Android app icons lost their folder assignments (but strangely not the SFOS ones) but everything works.

Bit of a contrast with the much newer, and better supported, 10 III which was a disaster for me.

Sadly, no way of getting anywhere near any file on this brick now.

OK, so after a week of mucking around trying to fix things and multiple attempts I finally got a telnet connection into my Xperia 10 III and was able to reset the phone back to factory settings. I then re-flashed the latest 4.4 release from the Jolla website, logged into my Jolla account and did the official OTA update to 4.5 using the GUI.

So, a good clean 4.4 installation from fresh based on the recommended Android 11.4.19.v9a lena binaries with no apps other than the stock Jolla apps, no patches, no openrepos or chum, etc, and then upgraded to 4.5 via the official Jolla OTA update.

Compared to my XA2 update (above) its a bit of a disaster ā€¦

• Android apps almost always have no connectivity on mobile data - so little change from 4.4

• Office 365 email accounts, whilst not reporting the old ā€˜Account Signed Outā€™ error, consistently fail after a reboot or just a period of time, reporting ā€˜Connection Errorā€™ - the only way to recover the situation being to delete the accounts and set them up again from scratch. So again no real improvement from 4.4. This has happened three times in the last week as the phone has switched from mobile data to wireless or vice-versa.

• Bluetooth to car or speaker or ā€¦ anything no longer works. Although bluetooth seems to be active no pairing or connection seems possible, whereas it was in 4.4

• Videos no longer play in the web browser most of the time (e.g. BBC News), or if they do there is no sound

The XA2 has the Office365 issue, the android connectivity issue and the video playback issue, but not the bluetooth issue

So, bearing in mind that 4.5, for me, seems to introduce more problems than it fixes, maybe I should go back to 4.4 ā€¦?

4.5.0.18 is out, it fixes Browser video playback issues.

The Bluetooth pairing should be possible with terminal: Broken pairing, no connection with Bluetooth car kit [10 III, 4.4.0.68] - #10 by wetab73