Option to display date on home screen

Can you please clarify what LPM is?

1 Like

Hi, furthermore I would be interested to add a name or e-mail-adress to the lock screen. Just in case I would lose my phone somewhere, there would be a chance one could contact me with this information.

2 Likes

Yes please, date to the home screen - I’m often going back and forth to notification screen just to check the date

6 Likes

Agree! Thanks for mention it.

2 Likes

Good idea. BlackBerry 10 OS had an optional, configurable two-line text shown on the lock screen. Good for contact or emergency info, whatever.

3 Likes

I posted a feature request for this a year ago here ICE (In Case Of Emergency) field on lock screen only to find that it had been requested on the old TJC forum in 2014, some 8 years ago. So don’t hold ypur breath for this!

3 Likes

That is bad. Did someone try to edit the background image with a text, e.g. with krita? I don’t know which folder/file is responsible for the screenlock picture .

There’s a ICE patch at OpenRepos that probably doesn’t work any more, I didn’t take a closer look but it could probably be fixed.

If you are right handed, why not enabling ‘Quick events access’ in Settings → Gestures? That would allow you to peek on the date from anywhere.
If you’re left handed like myself, I understand that’s not an option as the events screen just gets in the way when you want to go home…

1 Like

LPM means low power mode. To activate, you have to install mce tool as described here

LPM means that when you take your smartphone out of your pocket, the display shows the date, time and current weather for a few seconds.

1 Like

Yes, I do miss the date on the home screen.
I use to switch the phone off/on (and swipe back) to get the date.
To rather have it on the home screen, that we can just ‘peek’ into, would be a nice and much wanted improvement.
(So would also be an option for having the clock on the home screen also displaying seconds.)

3 Likes

It’s good to see the broad desire for this. Should be trivial to implement as a configurable? Come on Jolla :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i’m also missing this feature.

1 Like

You can edit the background image that is located in
/usr/share/ambience/
there in subfolders for the ambiences and write some text over the original image (with e.g. GIMP), and then copy the image back to the phone.

1 Like

Another idea: how about putting it on the top of the Top Menu, just above or below the lock icon?
That would allow for a very quick peek, and one could then remove the time in the status bar to leave space for more status icons…

Hw could this be done?

diff -Naur work/4.4/usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/topmenu/TopMenu.qml work/4.4-mine/usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/topmenu/TopMenu.qml
--- /usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/topmenu/TopMenu.qml	2022-08-31 06:57:33.733736873 +0200
+++ /usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/topmenu/TopMenu.qml	2022-08-31 08:27:28.826297922 +0200
@@ -11,6 +11,7 @@
 import Sailfish.Silica 1.0
 import Sailfish.Silica.private 1.0
 import Nemo.Notifications 1.0 as SystemNotifications
+import Nemo.Time 1.0
 import org.nemomobile.lipstick 0.1
 import com.jolla.lipstick 0.1
 import org.nemomobile.configuration 1.0
@@ -210,6 +211,7 @@
                 }
             }

+
             PowerButton {
                 id: lockButton

@@ -226,6 +228,24 @@

opacity: shutdownButton.opacity
             }
+            Label {
+                id: dateLabel
+
+                z: 10
+                anchors.top: parent.top
+                anchors.horizontalCenter: parent.horizontalCenter
+                text: {
+                    var dateString = Format.formatDate(wallClock.time, Format.DateFull)
+                    return dateString.charAt(0).toUpperCase() + dateString.substr(1)
+                }
+                color: Theme.secondaryColor
+                font.pixelSize: Theme.fontSizeSmall
+                WallClock {
+                    id: wallClock
+                    enabled: topMenu.expanded
+                    updateFrequency: WallClock.Day
+                }
+            }
         }

AmbienceSelector {
3 Likes

@Seven.of.nine: Thanks for the path. I managed to copy the file to a pc, added a text-box with krita and copied it back to the folder. It was necessary to restart the phone to show the new image.
@nephros: Perhaps I’ll test your hints another time, thanks.

I was thinking about hacking it into StatusArea.qml, since I have to patch that to position the time … In the StatusArea case, it would be just a matter of a configuration param for the clock method to expand the ‘time’ field … I’m going to try hacking your method into StatusArea …

I was thinking of moving date and time over into the topmenu, and then removing the clock on the status bar altogether. That would give space for more things.

If we then hack the status bar to support “drop in configurations”, people could instead of making separate patches just write stuff to put into that drop-in place, like icons for all kinds of things. :wink:
Similar to how jolla-settings (and some components of that) do it.

I.e. one patch to enable that, and many(?) authors to add status stuff to that patches area.

1 Like