On using the polite/honorific form in translations

Hi all,
especially @spaceumko and @HeinrichJolla (https://together.jolla.com/users/9464/heinrichjolla/)

I came to the conclusion that the personal form of translation is more appealing, because it is my phone

• which I personalized - giving feedback to me. It feels much better when the 3p.sg is used than 1p.pl.

I think this would apply to many other languages.

1 Like

Hi deloptes,

ā€¦relating to what problem or issue? and what language?

A different perspective is: on the other hand it is also my phone - a tool - and not my friend. So it should keep the tone professional.

Is there any specific issue youā€™re referring to?

1 Like

I am referring to Bulgarian, but it definitely applies to German, Russian, Dutch, Italian, French as well and perhaps many other languages.
The English ā€œyouā€ can be understood both ways, but I speak Bulgarian, German, Russian and Dutch. My wife Italian, Bulgarian, German, French.
She and I agreed that the personal form 2sg is more appropriate. 3pl sounds like in the clerks office :slight_smile:
As I was translating for Bulgarian I changed in most of the packages.
I wanted to hear your opinion.
Perhaps it makes sense to maintain one ā€œpoliteā€ and one ā€œfamiliarā€ translations :slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t know Bulgarianā€¦ In German 3sg would be er/sie/es, engl. he/she/it
2pl in German would be ā€˜ihrā€™, engl. you (pl). In German this would be medieval age style. :slightly_smiling_face:
In German, ā€˜duā€™ is 2sg.
As I know, until now SFOS style was always young and not so polite, more familiar than official. My opinion: I like this.

Thanks I swapped 2 and 3 :slight_smile:

So you confirm that 2sg is perceived better, thanks

1 Like

As a native Bulgarian speaker, I prefer ā€œpoliteā€ form. May be because of age - Iā€™m 48 years old:-)
But there are other reasons that are not related to age and generation:

1. Polite is not equal to formal/official.
  2. Sometimes 2sg sounds too familiar, other times it sounds commanding. For example, at the moment when answering a call in Bulgarian is ā€œŠžŃ‚Š³Š¾Š²Š¾Ń€ŠµŃ‚Šµā€. If it becomes ā€œŠžŃ‚Š³Š¾Š²Š¾Ń€Šøā€ - it sounds like an order. It is better to use the impersonal noun ā€œŠžŃ‚Š³Š¾Š²Š¾Ń€ā€, as Android translation.

There are others, but in the end the personal preferences of the translator are also important:-)

1 Like

I like this idea. Your phone should be formal until you invite it to be familiar.

ā€œThee thous them as thous thee!ā€ as my father-in-law would say.

1 Like

I understand the answer, but your argument is not relevant because ā€œŠžŃ‚Š³Š¾Š²Š¾Ń€ŠµŃ‚Šµā€ can be interpreted also as an order. ā€œŠžŃ‚Š³Š¾Š²Š¾Ń€ā€ might be good choice.

I wonder if we can discuss this in the translation web site.

I was thinking about all of this and came to the conclusion the more familiar form is for me the form of choice.

If it goes into the next version, have a look and let me know, what you think.

The question is if the overhead can be managed and is also desired by Sailfish. Who can set it up? I recall there were pretty amusing localisations/translations of KDE. I am not sure if this is still the case.

BTW the translators decided to use the adverb ā€œŠŠ°Š±ŠøрŠ°Š½Šµā€, ā€œŠŸŠ¾Š·Š²ŃŠŠ½ŃŠ²Š°Š½Šµā€, ā€œŠžŃ‚Š³Š¾Š²Š°Ń€ŃŠ½Šµā€ Šø т.Š½.

ŠžŠš.
My opinion is that impersonal nouns should be used where possible.
Where is on the translation web site can this be discussed?

Pootle does not have/support discussions. So the right place is the ā€˜Localisationā€™ category on this very forum.

Just a few remarks on this question:

In theory this should apply to any language:

Please try to be informal if that feels natural in your language. Avoid mentioning pronouns.

Quoted from the Official Sailfish Localisation Style Guide (pick any language)

French for example uses ā€˜vousā€™, which is more formal but that depends on the language and cultural context. Although I have used French for long and found itā€™s formal style natural, Iā€™m not a native speaker so canā€™t really assess which style is more appropriate.

For German this discussion already happened. We follow the request from Jollaā€™s guide lines and use informal voice (2nd person singular).

I have an opinion about translating: As a translator, my job is to translate as close to the original source as possible while making the text sound natural in the target language. Thatā€™s actually the definition of Translation as a profession. My opinion is not so relevant for that job, but my skill.
So personally Iā€™d stick to the informal translation as officially defined and provide a community package for a formal style if thatā€™s requested by many.

But whatever you prefer and decide to pick: Write it down and create a dedicated style guide for Bulgarian. This way your translations stay consistent and the next generation of translators can build upon your work.

Thanks, this was good information. I will put it on the todo to read, learn and probably create a style guide, if no one has created already or will create before me.
BTW I also visited the department for translation at the local university, so the basics are clear.
As we live in a very polite world, I was trying to see if someone will be annoyed as I already updated most of the translation sources.

As there was opposition in using the 2.sg., I review the translations and revert back to 2.pl. where applicable.
As discussed in the translation interface we prefer using the adverb, where possible.

Iā€™m fine with the informal ā€œjijā€ in Dutch. Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™m relatively young, but Iā€™ve never been addressed with the formal ā€œuā€ and I personally only used to people I donā€™t know who are at least a generation older than me or in very formal settings. But I wouldnā€™t mind that much if the polite form was used in the translation either.

As long as the tone of the language tries to be somewhat in the direction of ā€œIā€™m helping you to getting things done togetherā€, but doesnā€™t go to the direction of ā€œHi, Iā€™m your phone and your best friend. We can do anything together!ā€ and trying itā€™s best to ā€œappealā€ to the youth, itā€™s fine for me. An example of the last could be if the string describing backups was something in the direction of ā€œCreate a back-up to protect you personal data, like your documents, your music and your precious cat picturesā€. That annoys the heck out of me.

I canā€™t tell about how the southern neighbours, the Flemish, feel about that, since from what Iā€™ve noticed they seem to care a bit more about the honorific form than us, the Dutch, but I could be easily mistaken.

1 Like

Thatā€™s correct, we certainly align more with our southern neighbours in that regard. Then again, Flemish itself doesnā€™t even have any polite pronouns, everyone is just ā€˜geā€™ (or, of course, ā€˜gijā€™ when stressed), ā€˜uā€™ is just the object form. As it used to be in Dutch many centuries agoā€¦

1 Like

I think I got what I was asking for.
I went through the translations and fixed using the polite form. Apperently it looks like it is still preferred over the informal.

I fixed also many typos, missing commas and inconsistencies.

I hope now everybody will be happy

2 Likes