Official support for the Volla phone and FxTec Pro 1?

Can anyone in Jolla take a look at these devices for official support?

4 Likes

Unless Volla or FXtech pay jolla for a license there is not going to be official support. So if you want official SFOS support better talk to Volla and FxTec. That is how it works.

2 Likes

@ApB are you saying, Sony is paying Jolla for support on their phones?

2 Likes

No. (20 characters limit)

1 Like

Jolla needs reference phones, they chose Sony because of their open device program. Thats all.

4 Likes

So the Volla phone could also be a reference phone, Volla is not billion dollars Sony corporation, but for Jolla it would be a great benefit having a device available with preinstalled SFOS or which could be chosen through an online shop with the desired mobile OS. It would be a perfect match :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Then why do you imply FxTec Pro would?

I didn’t imply that they pay. I just said that if anyone wants official support and whatever comes with it (android etc) has to pay jolla.

Please correct me: for every full license, Jolla has to pay fees to Nuance (text prediction), Microsoft (Exchange) and Myriad (Android Support), isn’t it? That is the main reason why Jolla needs to sell the full licences.
For the free licences (i.e. pure Sailfish OS), Jolla gets nothing (from us) - but someone has to pay for the work involved. Therefore I fully understand that Jolla can only support a very limited number of devices officially.

5 Likes

Not exactly Gemini PDA is official port but has only MS Exchange support, no Predictive text input or android app support.

They have bug reports and testers for free.

3 Likes

Sorry my question is incomplete.
Why would Jolla not apply the same business case to Volla along Sony?

2 Likes

They could choose any MFG but they chose to use sony phones (for whatever reasons).

And they have trolls for free as well :wink:

1 Like

Just a guess: Sony has an open device program and Sony Erricson in Sweden is supporting hardware adaption

I assume Volla does the same? Or then Pinephone?
Especially considering eventual community editions; there must also be some other reason why Jolla cant just “promote” a community edition into an official one. I guess licensing?

… or liabilty. There is a great fully functional community port for the Xperia XZ3. So, it is a Sony but no official device. Seeing the difficulties some HW changes in the Xperia 10 over the XA2 (audio routing etc. ) have caused, I can see why Jolla cannot support more than two or three devices. Dealing with all these tiny little details causes so much work the Jolla possibly cannot handle.
HW abstraction apparently only works to a certain degree and caring for HW details of many different devices would most likely be too much for Jolla.
Therefore, I appreciate that Jolla carefully chooses one device every two years for an official port. We shouldn’t forget that Jolla also supports the community ports - so there is support from Jolla or other devices, however, this is a support that does not cause liabilty issues for Jolla.

5 Likes

So if Jolla supports a new devices every couple of years, hopefully we’ll see a new one this year? Sony it’s almost out of the game, I wonder who they may chose, if any…

1 Like

Support for the Xperia 10 II is coming soon™.

1 Like

I would love to see official support.

2 Likes