Not enough space using sfos-upgrade. Where are packages stored?

I started upgrade to 4.4.0.64 by downloading via the Settings app, but decided to continue using sfos-upgrade to be able to follow it.
I tried to updating using sfos-upgrade 4.4.0.64 which started fine but ended up in need of just 60MB more space.

It seems the Settings app and sfos-upgrade uses different download paths?

As Settings app stores the download somewhere(?) and the script stores it somewhere else(?) both are filing up space and I’m now left with just 287.5M free space on the root partition and I don’t know where I can safely delete either of them.

Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: warning: /var/cach
e/pk-zypp-cache/packages/adaptation0/armv7hl/droid-system-pione
er-0.1.4-1.2.12.jolla.armv7hl.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signatu
re, key ID 47394f23: NOKEY
installing package droid-system-pioneer-0.1.4-1.2.12.jo
lla.armv7hl needs 60MB more space on the / filesystem

IIRC a downloaded SFOS upgrade via the Settings app is discarded when rebooting.

sfos-upgrade simply issues ssu re <version-to-upgrade-to> and then version dup, after performing a multitude of checks, most of which are denoted in its description.

Questions:

1. Didn’t sfos-upgrade warn you that your root partition is becoming overly full?
  2. Do I need to increase the thresholds for providing a notice (currently at 1 GB left), a warning (at 750 MB left) and throwing an error and exiting (currently at 500 MB left)?

Anyway, I never really cared where the ssu-command called by the version script stores the downloaded RPMs, but I assume it is in /var/cache/pk-zypp-cache/packages/, as your error message indicates. As it is a cache, you should be able to purge it.

IMO the proper solution is to increase the root filesystem size, e.g., by section 3.3 “Increasing the root LVM volume size” of my “Guide for installing Sailfish X on Sony Xperias”.

1 Like

Or this:

But I don’t know if it works ok, not tested yet.

1 Like

Oh, you’re the author @olf ? Thanks for a great tool.

Sorry for the late response. Life interrupted me.

Yes it did. I believe there was something like 750MB free and I thought it was just being more cautious than the settings app that needed 500MB. Never assume - I should know that :wink:

Hmm, the 1GB is fine I guess, maybe the warning and error should be earlier. Or maybe for people like me who apparently ignores it use CAPITAL letters :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Well funny thing is: I didn’t reboot the phone but later I checked and Settings/About product reported that 4.4.0.64 was installed.
I then rebooted and everything still works fine even though the error message during install really looked like something was missing? But there’s 600MB free system space now so it cleaned up on reboot :slight_smile:

I’m not used to pkcon or zypper, but is there a command to run to apply any updates that got interrupted without downloading new updates?

It has been my intention for quite some time, but it looks like I need a steady head to do that, and mine mostly isn’t so I’ve postponed it :wink:

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks, I’ll bookmark that.

At least my OpenRepos repository hosting sfos-upgrade says so, so I assume I am really me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I consider altering the limits to notice@1G, warn@800M and exit@600M.

But I still wonder a bit why 750M free was not sufficient for you.
If understand correctly, that was because you had the update downloaded by Jolla’s graphical updater, cancelled it and then immediately started sfos-upgrade without rebooting in between, right?

Or maybe for people like me who apparently ignores it use CAPITAL letters :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

No, I will not shout at people for no wrongdoing.

Well funny thing is: I didn’t reboot the phone but later I checked and Settings/About product reported that 4.4.0.64 was installed.

See SFOS version 4.4.0.58 without upgrade - #22 by olf

I then rebooted and everything still works fine even though the error message during install really looked like something was missing? But there’s 600MB free system space now so it cleaned up on reboot :slight_smile:

Run sfos-upgrade --verify to ensure that an upgrade is completely installed.

I’m not used to pkcon or zypper, but is there a command to run to apply any updates that got interrupted without downloading new updates?

I do not know: If you want to know, read Jolla’s version script and trace back further, IIRC to ssu, which is Free Software hosted at GitHub, so you can read its code to see what it does.

1 Like