No roaming for mobile internet connection

I am experiencing the same problem (xperia 10iii) while roaming in Greece, switching IP vs Dual didn’t help. The only way to get network connection working is when i moved the sim card from slot1 to slot2, inconvenient tho as i had to take out my sd card.

2 Likes

Same here and for the first time ever

Xperia 10 III, 4.4.0.68
Vodafone Germany

Roaming in Poland: 3G, no mobile data

Tried:

restarting network
reboot
manually setting the provider

Did not try:

Manually setting data access point to ip v4

The same SIM worked just fine in my XA2 in many European countries.
If the problem persists this really is a problem for me. A phone that doesn’t work abroad is a show stopper.

Worked before in PL, SE, NO, DK, CZ, NL, BE, FR, UK, AT, IT.

1 Like

Retried a few days ago: Roaming in Poland, Mobile Network set to IPv4. → Works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And tried the same in Austria. Nothing. :face_vomiting:

i did have a funny situation in poland last week where i had mobile data initially once i de-airplane-moded my phone after landing, but seemed to lose it some time after arriving at the destinaion (and their wifi network). after that, restarts made on difference, no mobile data.

this on an XA2 Plus with 4.4.0.64.

reminds me of two different things:

1. the wifi bug that seems to reliably kill mobile data when i leave home wifi range
  2. the fact that i’d swear mobile data did initially work on my 10iii after first booting into SFOS the first time

I have an Xperia 10 III with 4.5.0.18 and two Vodafone SIMs. My primary one is a CallYa prepaid tariff, which explicitly lists EU Roaming, see also this screenshot:

I am currently in Sweden and have had no success at all to get mobile data to work. I set roaming to “always allow” and status is shown as “Enabled”. The carrier (automatically) selected is Telenor SE.

Any app trying to access the web tells me there is no internet connection. ip a shows all rmnet* interfaces without any ip address apart from the link-local IPv6 on rmnet_data0@rmnet_ipa0

I tried having only one SIM, having that single SIM in both SIM Slots and nothing worked. I then (again with bot cards inserted) tried resetting all ofono settings, to no avail.

Also, the linked “oFono Logger Approach” is dysfunctional because the mentioned app does not exist in the store.

When I was landing at Copenhagen Airport, I had data connection, I could chat with a friend. Maybe it is specific to Swedish providers?

At this point, my only way online is free (hotel) Wifi, which is a sad state of affairs.

While I am here for a few more days, is there any useful way I can collect logs or try things?

Best regards
Moe

PS: journalctl -u ofono does output

Feb 22 20:52:42 Xperia10III ofonod[12751]: Activating context: 1
Feb 22 20:52:42 Xperia10III ofonod[12751]: Unexpected data call status 4100

when I re-activate mobile data

PPS: Now, that I searched the forum again for the ofonod log message, this hint of disabling the PIN did help! I have working mobile data :tada:

2 Likes

Hello,

I have experienced the same problem: roaming is not working for the internet connection. here are the details of my case:

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.5.0.21
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III
UI LANGUAGE: French
REGRESSION: Unknown with this hardware, but I didn’t have this problem with the Xperia 10 Plus last year

Description, preconditions, steps to reproduce, expected result and actual result match exactly those of the original post.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

• My original provider is in Switzerland (Sunrise) and every time I go in France, I cannot use the data. The function is enabled on the smartphone, but the symbol for data is not visible beside the GSM symbol on the main screen
  • The SMS and voice call are OK.

I tried:

• restarting the phone
  • selecting other preferred networks (4G or 3G)
  • using SIM1 and SIM2 slots in the smartphone
  • using the same SIM card in another phone: roaming works

What I didn’t try:

• using a different url for the MMS and data access points
  • using a local SIM card
  • using manual configuration fort the IP address

Since 4.5.0.21 works with dual network in Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Finland.

Have you tried setting Network to IPv4?

No, I haven’t tried this setting. I will try next time I go to France.

I just had similar problems in France:

BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.5.0.21
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III
UI LANGUAGE: German
SIM: Vodafone Germany

I was unable to use a mobile data connection for several days (trying merely everything: reboots, manula APN configuration etc.) UNTIL I placed the SIM card in an Android phone for one single mobil internet access. Thereafter, I placed the SIM card again in my Xperia 10 iii with SFOS 4.5.0.21 and mobile data (i.e. roaming) worked. APN setting etc. were the same as before

While this is no solution, it might be a workaround to be kept in mind

1 Like

Here are some news about my Xperia 10 III. I was during a week in Italy with mainly Sunrise (Italy) as the main operator and I experienced the same problems as I had previously in France. I had tried to set Network to IP4, mixed and IP6, and there was no difference with these settings. Last year, with the Xperia 10 Plus, I didn’t have any problem in Italy (with the same SIM card). One more information: in Switzerland (where I live), the operator is Sunrise and the phone works very well, except the bug of the echo with the voice call.

Same here. I’m using a Lidl (Vodafone Reseller) sim from Germany in my up to date Xperia 10 III.

Worked in Slovenia and Croatia, did not work in Austria or France. For me it’s a regression, worked in France earlier this year.

I live close to the french border so I should be able to obtain any logs easily if helpfull

I found out that the issue is only reproducible on my X10-3. It works perfectly on my X10-2…
I’ll try again once I find another X10-3.

Ok, it’s definitely my phone that’s the problem. I’ll report back here when I find out which reset works.

I just got this - with my Zenfone community port, I traveled (on the ground) through Hungary, Austria and Germany and not one network connected with mobile data.
I have tried these three tricks already Resetting oFono Settings | Sailfish OS Documentation

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.5.0.19
HARDWARE: Zenfone 8
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: Yes. This did not happen on hardware: Xiaomi Mi Note 10, community OS: 4.4.x.x when I flew to Austria

(Maybe I should’ve taken the plane ;p)

Update: I managed to find a way to put my sim card in the Xiaomi, randomly in the 2nd slot, and with both sim slots enabled only, roaming works…

So this might be an Android 10 vs Android 11 base error, Android 10 base works.
L.E. The same setup, 2nd SIM, both enabled even if one empty, works mostly on A11 too…

When I was in Crete I lost mobile connection on my Xperia 10 III all the time – the 3rd trick in abovementioned Resetting oFono Settings in a bit safer form

devel-su
systemctl stop ofono
rm /var/lib/ofono/??* -rf
reboot

(EDIT: may need second reboot if device fails to search mobile network – had to do
that today but I don’t recall I had to do it previously – more than once or a few times…)

and then reconfiguring sim cards and mobile network in Settings
helped – but only for a while – when the phone was connected via a certain
towers (4G) network worked fine but if it happened to loose connection to such
a tower but connected to some other w/ some other carrier, it was game over
– returning back to previously working tower did not get connection back, and
had to remove ofono settings (and reboot) to reconnect.

I’ve done the above dozens of times and I can say it is safe to do – and reconfiguring
mobile is pretty straightforward to do…

I do have quite a few CellMon screenshots from the working and non-working
situations and maybe some ofono logs if those are of any use…

The Android base in my device is 11, probably from sept-oct 2022 (15 months ago) – had
quite a few challenges installing SailfishOS at that time (I typed wrong code and the ux
was not clear enough of the problem so I run (and upgraded) android for a week before
got SailfishOS installed…)

Yeah, handing the connection to a 3g tower and back to 4g needs a reboot here too…

That was last year.

I traveled from Berlin via Czech Republic to Vienna yesterday and roaming worked like a charm. Reboots at borders were necessary with Sailfish and Android phones.
:slightly_smiling_face:

So Germany, Czech Republic, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, Austria, Poland worked well with 10 III in 2023. VoLTE does not always register. Network access is set to dual use of both IPv4 and V6.