Next port to buy

Here’s another Uniherz jewel: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jellyphone/jelly-max-the-smallest-5g-smartphone/
A 5 inch small model. Too bad it is still LCD…

What’s the go-to device to purchase these days?

Not sure. Official devices next will be Xperia 10 mark IV and V and the C2 reeder community.
I am not working on porting now, but there are people trying to boot Xiaomi 12x and Xperia 5 IV on porters channel :crossed_fingers: now.

4 Likes

Xperia 10 V is already hard to purchase brand new :S

A couple of updates in my current thinking of next device to buy:

1. @piggz adapted @TheKit’s Mediatek volte support to work on Volla 23 UBports / Development / Core / Hybris support / ofono-binder-plugin-ext-mtk · GitLab
    That makes Mediatek devices immediately more desirable.

2. I found this list of GitHub - melontini/bootloader-unlock-wall-of-shame: Keeping track of companies that "care about your data 🥺" and to my surprise (other than the opinion I already had about Huawei, Xiaomi, Sony, Fairphone, Google, Asus and Oneplus) there is a company that does offline bootloader unlocking, and that is … Nothing. (Continuing the gray instead of black/white choices, Pei may be just as trustable as Durov, which may mean a lot or nothing …mmph sorry I got into politics)

Now there is even a (discontinued) Nothing Phone (1) Lineage 20 which as a single version is fantastic that it is not 19 (which, being Android 12, is not available around here :wink: I hear binder protocol broken but did not dig more).
As you know, latest official Jolla device is Android 11 but they are trying Android 13 and even 14 next, and 13 corresponds to Lineage 20.

But Nothing Phone (1) is QCom, so the two points above don’t “match”. So is Phone (2) - which has some unofficial lineage. The Nothing Phone (2a) is Dimensity (which is Mediatek) but no developments show on xda forums…

Unfortunately Google’s Tensor seems to be closer to Exynos, so this piece of info does not apply, and even future TSMC chips don’t sound like Mtk to me, so that is still out.

Anyway, I keep watching the hardware space just in case, so I don’t repeat the Asus/Huawei experience of being locked out any time soon, and right now Nothing (1) seems possible…

2 Likes
Criteria Nothing Phone (1)
1. Camera at least 1/1.7" 1pt
2. OLED screen with double tap to wake. 1pt
3. Headphone jack -
4. Fingerprint reader - optical under display 0.5pt
5. Infrared port. -
6. Largish battery - 4000+ mAh 1pt
7. Real proximity sensor (not virtual ) 1pt
8. Manufacturer is company I would like to support 1pt
9. Model is popular enough so it helps Sailfish 0.5pt
10. Screen not notched / centered notch for 0.5 0 - left notch
TOTAL 6pt

Nothing Phone (2) would get 0.5 more amounting for 6.5 pt because of the centered notch… Of course it is also faster, LPTO and all that other stuff I don’t care for. And a tad larger.
Mind you, both phones are larger than Mi Note 10 (but not heavier) and Fairphone 5 sits between them (but is heavier than both).

Still can’t beat Xperia 5 / Fairphone 5 but just another data point.

1 Like

Guys… the time has come, it is done, device is fixed and (almost) fully working!

I’m of course talking about oneplus 6(t). So far I’ve only released the 6t because i don’t own 6 (yet) but on both everything that’s important should be working.

And if someone wants aliendalvik then wink wink nudge nudge we can talk about it

Port is insanely smooth, last time i’ve seen this smooth device was jolla phone, and its insanely stable.

I’ll post more in separate thread.

2 Likes

unfortunately i put already archlinux (kupfer) on it, and it was really much fun, especially with the aur helpers

This thread is about the decision what device @vlagged would target next, so a port you already finished would only be of interest here to exclude it from the list of candidates

1 Like

At the same time people might look through this thread looking for what to purchase