New supported devices with E-Ink display

Would it be possible to port SFOS to devices with an E-Ink display? E.g. a rooted light phone 2 or the coming up Mudita Pure (https://mudita.com/)

1 Like

I doubt very much that a port to the Mudita would be possible. That device is specifically designed to be a low power “less-connected” dumb-phone with minimal features, e.g. phone, text, email.

I feel Sailfish will never be suited for e-ink displays, as their refresh rates are typically very low. Redraws would be excruciating. A port suited to e-ink displays would likely require a substantial rework regarding the core concepts and technologies behind Sailfish.

It’s interesting, don’t get me wrong… I just don’t think it’ll ever be viable.

2 Likes

Sure, the refresh rates aren’t the best, but for example my remarkable 2 works pretty fluid and also has some swipe gestures for navigation. I don’t think it requires a a substantial rework for SFOS.

The mudita is more an example for a feature phone, not a standard device. Hisens and some other companies bringing up android phones with eink displays. I doubt they change the conepts and technologies behind android :wink:

1 Like

There was a proof of concept Sailfish for feature phones a few years ago, it only made a couple of changes to the interface overall (mostly to remove gestures) and seemed to work well:

As for e-ink, I agree with @sailerx that it works well enough, the technology has improved slowly but steadily over the years and modern e-ink screens use a much more optimised way of refreshing the screen (and just this year, mass market e-ink screens in colour became available, so you could even use Ambiences if you wanted to). Many of the popular e-readers these days run Android, too.
1 Like

I’m wondering if anyone is interested in porting Sailfish OS to the Hisense A9 Eink phone. I think Sailfish OS would be a great fit for this device, and it would be awesome to have an alternative to the stock firmware.

I’m not a developer myself, but I’m happy to help with testing and providing feedback. I believe there are many people in the community who would also be interested in this project.

If you’re a developer and interested in taking on this project, or if you have any information or suggestions, please let me know.

I did a brief research and apparently there is no available driver base for porting this device

That was rather a featurephone lookalike than a featurephone. The original version was running Android, but the phone was designed like a Nokia Featurephone.