New Phone on horizon?

I have had a different experience. My father and my sister-in-law both got a Nokia 3 some years ago, my father still uses it and is still like new, my sister-in-law lost it and replaced it with a 2.3, cheap, powerful and strong. My wife got a 7 Plus, still using it, also like new. No problems with firmware whatsoever.

It’s definitely time that Sailfish OS will be ported to a few new phones (from Sony). The XA2 is getting older and older and hard to buy. Others are too large. I also hope that they’ll be able to improve the camera. It’s terrible if you have great cam hardware in the phone and the pictures are still on Jolla 1 level.

1 Like

Have you seen the ‘advanced camera’ app in Jolla Store? It provides much more features as the standard camera app.

1 Like

Yes, it provides more features regarding the settings, but it still does not exhaust the capabilities of the camera. The pictures are still of poor quality. The reason is that Sony do not open their functions to Sailfish. If it’s just a licence thing, I’d be willing to pay a few bucks for that additional license such as for the Android support.

4 Likes

Maybe it would be worthwhile to have a FAQ for recurring topics like this…

• Sony has an Open Device Programme
    That means Sony makes the software sources for some of their phones available (minus the trademark Sony apps and features like enhanced camera capabilities of the Xperia series).
    It’s only because of these kernel sources that Jolla was able to create Sailfish X.
    This means that there’s no classic business partnership between these two companies - at least I assume. I might be wrong.
    But in the end Sony makes no profit from Sailfish OS being available for their devices (apart maybe from a hardware license fee) since the whole project is open source.
  • Jolla is at the mercy of Sony (or any other manufacturer) when it comes to hardware : All the necessary drivers come as precompiled closed source binary blobs. If the camera don’t work as nicely as with original Xperia apps and software it’s because Sony doesn’t want it to.
    Plus we’re talking about building a pure Linux system on top of a kernel + drivers made for Android. This in turn creates a whole set of challenges by itself
    (As a side note: Considering the enormous effort hardware adaption, including reverse engineering and manual configuration takes, 50 € is a pretty cheap price for Sailfish X.)
  • other manufacturers that don’t have such an open device programme (e.g. HMD, about Volla I don’t know) would have to be convinced to a partnership by the prospect of making profit out of it. Which in the end means either Jolla or us would need to pay good money to motivate any of them.
  • even if there’s another device with sources available (see PinePhone): Unless the community is strong enough to drive an open source port for that platform, you’d still have to pay for development. Which brings us back to the previous point: That costs money. Quite some
13 Likes

there is a lot of work that have been done on mer-hybris github, where are the official supported devices repos made, here you can see a lot of work made by Jolla for the Sony Xperia 10 II, platform “seine”, name “pdx-201” and version xq-au51 = single sim, xq-au52 = dual sim

7 Likes

On the one hand, it’s great news. On another hand, Sony has shipped as few smartphones this year as ever. Even now availability of Xperia 10 ii at different markets is limited, it has never been available in Russia, for example. I also could find only one offer of new Xperia 10 ii at AliExpress. I have a concern that by the time a license for this model is available from Jolla, a new device will be difficult to find.

3 Likes

Yes, me to. I think Jolla should confirm what model is in the pipe, so we can get get one while still available.

5 Likes

I think it’s quite clear that Xperia 10 II will be next device

3 Likes

Well, I really need a new phone, but I can not afford to buy the wrong one, so I want confirmation.

4 Likes

That will be the same old:
It will be announced when it is ready.

1 Like

I agree with eson. Though I haven’t seen much or interesting discounts on X10 II online or in stores, even during black friday.
Seems those Sony devices are a rare commodity, they barely get discounts even months after launch.

2 Likes

Can’t find better price for now - 323 € for Xperia 10 II in amazon.de

1 Like

Actually it wouldn’t be a bad idea to start selling licenses before Christmas, rather than after Christmas. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am HongKonger, I have bought a Xperia 10 II dual sim in HKD 2599, included a 128GB sdcard, 10000 power pack, a screen and case protector. It is easy to find because it sells in all local electronic shop there.

1 Like

But it is too expensive! The Carbon Phone.

1 Like

Not to forget Gigaset.
They built nice affordable smartphones. Some of them Made in europe.

The Volla Phone hardware is a Gigaset GS290.

Took a look at the successor of the GS290. It’s named GS4.
I was impressed. A really nice phone with a really competitive price for a phone Made in europe.

5 Likes

GS devices get better that’s true. What I like most about the GS4. It has a removable battery. When I tried to replace the battery of my Xx, the touchscreen got damaged somehow, which is just annoying avoidable.

3 Likes

right , it is. Of course they need to get money to start

1 Like

looks nice ! price is ok too

1 Like