New mail outside inbox should not have new mail notification

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
BUILD ID:4.1.0
HARDWARE: XA2
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: Unknown

DESCRIPTION:

I’m using server-side Sieve scripts to filter incoming mail and move some of them to a subfoloder outside the IMAP Inbox hierarchy. Thus, these mails are not part of my “Inbox”. Because of that, I don’t expect a “new mail” notification if such mail arrives, which is precisely the point: they are low priority mail. Using my desktop clients like KMail and Thunderbird I’ll still notices them (they are marked as unread), but neither of these clients show a new mail notification. However, my phone still pings and shows a notification, including flashing led, when such new mail arrives. This is unwanted.

PRECONDITIONS:

• IMAP Email account set up on mobile.
  • A folder outside the Inbox hierarchy.
  • Some server-side filtering, like Sieve scripts

E.g, the following Sieve script:
if address :localpart :is “to” “user+lowprio”
{
fileinto :create “Low priority email”;
}

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Send mail to your own account, which is automatically placed in a folder outside Inbox, e.g. user+lowprio@domain.example.

EXPECTED RESULT:

No notification, but blissful tranquility, just like desktop clients.

ACTUAL RESULT:

A new mail notification pops up.

2 Likes

Is this a bug or a design decision?

Maybe the solution to either is a simple check-box option in the mail account settings ‘Notification On New Mail in Inbox Only’.

By the way, are you the same Fuzzillogic that was heavily involved the PC/GEOS, Geoworks, etc system of the 1990s? I used to love that system!

Not sure, I haven’t read all IMAP-related RFCs. But I find it noteworthy that both Thunderbird and KMail don’t show notifications for mail outside the Inbox hierarchy, so I expect there’s something special.

A work-around is to no include those folders in the folders-to-sync-list, but that excludes the option to actually read the mails on mobile. In my use cases that’s fine.

And while I played with Geoworks back in the day, I’m not that old that I could have anything to do with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

work-around is to no include those folders in the folders-to-sync-list, but that excludes the option to actually read the mails on mobile. In my use cases that’s fine.

You can still read the mail on those folders. As soon as you open the folder it will be synced.

1 Like