New Jolla Phone owner seeks advice

This link doesn’t work on SF Browser!

1 Like

Oh, there is really nothing special about it (no special characters, just a plain jump target (HTML ID)):
https://gitlab.com/Olf0/sailfishX#guide-installing-sailfishx-on-xperias

What does your SailfishOS bowser say (i.e. error message etc.) and which OS version do you use?

Pretty sure it’s not accesible when you’re selected for random cloudfare checks:)

I think it was some bad luck yesterday. Today the link works fine.

Or you can check for instance here:

Hope it helps some new users. It is of cause going to be outdated as close to anything like this soon. :wink:
(available in German and English)

Best regards
Fuchur

4 Likes

Good article, why aren’t there much more of this kind?

I have ordered the c2 community edition, and that will be my first experience with Sailfish when it arrives… Question: does anyone knows if Sailfish can project to external monitors? I’m curious whether Sailfish could be a good option for what they call a “lapdock”…

There are some devices that hardwarewise support video out, but this does not work with sailfish. There are working solutions for screen casting, see for example the current community newsletter
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/sailfish-community-news-12th-september-2024-flashing-line/19958/3

2 Likes

The USB-C in the phone needs to support that, and also SFOS needs so also.
I’ve asked, years ago, this same question for the Gemini PDA (which, hardware-wise, can support it through HDMI), but the OS doesn’t have it.

Cool, I was just thinking Sailfishos into a lapdock could be a cool combo, I know I’m asking for something quite niche but yeah, was just a general idea!

1 Like

Turbot, if you install Aurora Store, which is the pirate version of Google Play Store, use it anonimously. That works well.

1. Install F-Droid
  2. Search for Aurora Store in F-Droid and install it.

NewPipe is a Youtube clone without tracking that you can find in F-Droid.

1 Like

1 and 2: Yes, that is quite normal for Sailfish users.
Apps from F-Droid are mostly open source, you can search on Github for details.
Openrepos is a reliable source but it needs some trust.
Aurora: a pirate store of Google Play that works through the account of the developer. Only free apps are available.
You can modify the rights of Android apps in Sailfish Settings under ‘apps’.

You can also log in to aurora store to buy paid apps.

That I didn’t know. How? Can you buy apps in Google Play if you don’t have a Google account?

You can use google account in Aurora.

1 Like

not at all, aurora can login with an fake account but that one only allows to download free apps.

1 Like

No, you still need a google account, but you could for instance create an account just to buy that single app you want and pay via google gift card. That way google gets only few of your precious data

No thank you. It may be clear to new Sailfish users that we only can have paid apps in Aurora/Google Play if we create a Google account. The same with Vollaphone users.

To be precise: Apps must be licensed under an OSI-approved Open Source Software licence to be accepted at F-Droid, and a developer can only submit an app’s source code to F-Droid, the app is then compiled and packaged at (and by) F-Droid.

Exactly the same is true for the SailfishOS:Chum community repository and the licences it allows (see last bullet point of the SailfishOS:Chum FAQ).

6 Likes