New Jolla Phone owner seeks advice

Hi everyone. Great to be a member of your community which I have just joined after purchasing the original Jolla phone. I am so excited to be aboard the Sailfish (after enjoying the Blackberry (BB10) for the last 6 years). The previous owner did a full factory reset on it. Can you give me some basic advice as to the first steps I should take when I turn it on for the first time. I would like to have the best experience with this phone and realise that I am at the tail end of the “fish” whilst many of you are up towards the head in terms of experience! Thanks.

First of all, set up your Wi-Fi connection and Jolla account, go to Settings -> Sailfish OS, check for updates and install the update, and keep doing this until you’ve finally installed Sailfish OS 3.4.0.
Then start configuring everything else, like accounts, applications, etc.
Enable installing software from third parties, then install Storeman from OpenRepos, which will let you access, well, OpenRepos, where you can find many more applications than on the Jolla Store.
Use Storeman to install Patchmanager 3, then go to Settings -> Patchmanager and take a look at the web catalog to see if there’s anything that interests you.

There are native Sailfish applications for many things, and there are alternative/improved applications to several of Jolla’s default applications. Feel free to ask if you’re looking for something in particular, because it’s not always easy to find if you don’t already know about it. Of course, you can also still run Android applications, although the amount of Android applications that still support Android 4.1 is dwindling by the day.

3 Likes

Thank you for your clear and concise advice, Enough, I am sure, to get me started!