New install of a XA2 (h3113) with SW_binaries...9.0_2.3.2_v9_nile.zip?

Hi,

A long time before i installed a XA2 with this manual: Installing Sailfish X on XA2 using Linux - Jolla
My question is: Is it still up to date?
Now, the XA2 hat Android 9 or 10, not only 8.1x, described here in the manual:

SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_8.1.6.4_r1_v16_nile.zip
SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_8.1.6.4_r1_v17B_nile.zip

So, what is the best base for a complete new install now!?
For example, i found this one: SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_9.0_2.3.2_v9_nile.zip

Thanks.

I also did a complete reinstall 3 days ago. if you don’t have 5 Ghz wifi you can take the V17b, otherwise we recommend to take the V16.
For GPS please use the recommended settings, those were the only ones that worked for me so far. To avoid future update problems, you should resize the root partition. I have unfortunately forgotten and do not know if I can do this later without data loss.

And yes i have used this manual.

Greetings Steffen

GPS: [release notes] Kvarken 4.1.0

two years ago i made the same installation like you and it worked like a charm. But my question is, if this is maybe now not up-to-date? I dont know, didn’t find anything about in the forum or manuals.

So I followed this guide and now have an XA2 with 4.1.0.24. So this guide should be up to date.

I don’t want to say, that this not functional. I know, it would work like this.

but, i am a little confused, or have a misunderstanding:

https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004283713

2.2.1 Selecting and downloading Android baseband

Xperia XA2
50.2.A.0.400 (Android 9) [1]
50.1.A.13.123 (Android 8) [2]

[1] These Android 9 versions appear to sometimes get an invalid WiFi MAC which prevents the phone from using WiFi networks (in the Android mode). In such a case, first flash and Android 8 version, boot up, then flash Android 9. Note that even if there was no WiFi on Android 9, after installing Sailfish, WiFi works again.
[2] We recommend Android 9 for Sailfish 3.3.0 and later. Baseband version 50.3.A.z.y might become available. Do not take it as it corresponds to Android 10, the compatibility with Sailfish has not been tested.

I extracted and compared both
SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_8.1.6.4_r1_v16_nile SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_8.1.6.4_r1_v17B_nile

and there was only three files contents was different
/bin/cnss-daemon (Some sort WiFi daemon)
/bin/sensors.qcom
/build.prop (contains version string)

other content was same and because v17B has problem with 5G WiFi .
I would recommend v16.

1 Like

I think I understand now. You want to bring your XA2 to Android first and then flash Sailfish OS ?
So that you have Android 9 as a base ?

Important an upgrade to Android 10 should not be made, because there may be problems at the moment.
Anyway, I had understood it that way.

What Android version had your Xa2 before you installed Sailfish OS for the first time ?

Greetings
Steffen

Same here, why Android_8.1.6.4_r1_v16 and not for example Android_10.0.7.1_r1_v2c_nile? Does it matter if SW binary Android version is 8.1 or 10.0?

In Android native hardware intrafaces aren’t binary compatible between major releases. Sony’s binary package does not contain Android itself but it contains device spesific code that is compatible with spesific version of Android. It causes that Sailfish can only use specific version of binaries.

1 Like