New documents don't show up in Documents application

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3.0.12
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): Xperia 10 II - Dual Sim
UI LANGUAGE: French
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): yes

DESCRIPTION:

New documents (downloaded after the upgrade to 4.3.0.12) don’t show up in the Documents application, even though they are successfully downloaded and available in /home/defaultuser/Downloads.

PRECONDITIONS:

SFOS upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3 EA. The upgrade wasn’t that smooth in my case, maybe something broke in the process.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Download a PDF document with the default SFOS Web Browser
  2. Open the Documents application to read that file

EXPECTED RESULT:

One should see the newly downloaded document in the Documents application, at the top of the list when sorted by date.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The newly downloaded document is nowhere to be seen inside the Documents application. The file is there in ~/Downloads though.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Permissions appear to be set correctly on the newly downloaded documents:

Owner: defaultuser
Group: defaultuser
Mode: 644

Older files have a tendency to belong to the “privileged” group, rather than to the “defaultuser” one.

2 Likes

Hi all,

I went ahead and chown’ed the file to defaultuser:privileged, but to no avail.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong ?

Cheers, Sam

I am pretty sure you did nothing wrong.
Did the Documents app showed/asked you the permission stuff on first start?

what do you mean?

The ususal thrill in such cases is (and I am writing this now for the xth time):
install @olf’s sfos-upgrade and run it. It will check for missing stuff…

devel-su; pkcon refresh; version --dup

is when you like it the hard way :wink:

This is an issue with tracker, not a botched OS update.

Go to Jolla Store and download Saiflish Utilities and tap on Clear for ‘Tracker database’.

This is common place, tracker often does NOT do its job and has been with us since the beginning of SFOS.

I did not download my PDF, I sent it via bluetooth from my PC, the PDF did NOT show up in Documents app, hence forcing the issue with tracker - now the document is in Documents!

Yes.

My answer was related to ‘upgrade did not go smooth’.

If it is a tracker issue then this is a nasty bug, accompanying us also for quite some time!
Why should tracker not work after an OS update?

My response was to the OP, not what you have written Peter.

As for why does Tracker not do its job - no idea, but is often the case. I recall answering this in many cases when we used TJC - I used to give the terminal commands, but it is easier to direct someone to Jolla Store for Sailfish Utilities app.

EDIT: I’ve just read this question here on FSO; Sharing from 'Documents' impossible where the last response from Karry is also suggestive of tracker/indexing problems, but this also includes issues with ‘Sailjail’ which I did not think about in this instance.

Okay, sorry my responses are all in bits. I don’t feel to good right now, bit shivery and shaky (oh god, not c-19!)

I’ve just bluetoothed another PDF to my device, it has NOT appeared in Documents yet again. Once again, I have just cleared the ‘Tracker database’ from Sailfish Utilities and the newest document is showing - this is most certainly a ‘tracker’ issue.

However, having just sent an image by bluetooth, I watched the new image appear in the Gallery, so Tracker is doing its job here just not for Documents.

1 Like

Get (better stay) healthy!

1 Like

can confirm said behaviour, but for me it is not only documents, but gallery, too, that is not properly indexed.

1 Like

I have the same problem and i don’t know how to go further. Tracker3 process is running. Picture and document are stored in the right directory. But document and gallery do not show the indexed files. I did a reset because the newly picture where not displyed in the Gallery. Since this time Gallery display nothing at all. I have an XA2 running the latest 4.4.064. This problem came after the latest update.
Thanks for any suggestion.

Is the problem still present?

@rhackert do you use a SD card? Have you tried without it and after a fresh reboot?

Newly stored pictures not showing up in the gallery has been going on for years and across many releases of SFOS.