Native Group Chat and MMS

I know this has been a sore spot for a subset of Sailfish users over the years, but it would be great to know if Jolla has any plans to support multi-recipient “group chat” for MMS messages. I understand this feature is more popular in the U.S. than in other areas, thus it is not high on Jolla’s priority list because their focus is on non-U.S. markets.

Is there a feature update coming soon that will include this?

3 Likes

I just bought a Xperia 10 Plus and Sailfish X in hopes of finally using it as a daily driver. I switched over my sim and was all set to go. Within 30 mins I had a text message notification that was stuck downloading. Then 4 more on another contact. Double checked all APN settings. Then it hit me these were contacts in a group chat I had on android. How does Sailfish not supposed group chat? So disappointed that I am stuck with android again.

I’ve been able to receive group chat messages, but only over mobile data and never when I’m connected to WiFi. However, I can only see the original sender (not the other recipients) and I cannot send a group chat as a reply. (This is via US T-Mobile, not sure how well other carriers work).

Would love to see this as a new feature.

2 Likes

I just repeat that the RCS services should be implemented…

+1 T-mo user in US. Downloading MMS works over LTE so I have to turn off WIFI whenever MSS message received. Group message do not work. Willing to donate $$$ to solve this issue… currently considering to relocate to EU to be able to send/receive MMS and group messages :wink:

1 Like

Also willing to donate dollars to get this fix. +1 T-mo user in US. :slight_smile:

Willing to donate too to fix the mms issue. Also the browser is still very bad. cant wait for the paid version on xpria 10ii

1 Like

The MMS this is such an oversight…sure, I get it… this is not something that Europeans use as much as folks here in the US. BUT… this is a programming issue not a real limitation. It bites hard to have to retype (or cut and paste) the same message and select a picture to send to your buddies. Not the mention that on your buddies side they get spammed with mms messages from you and start wondering why you don’t include all the photos in one mms… they are shocked when you tell the “I can’t” then they ask… “are you still using a flip phone bruv?”

2 Likes