Mysterious gong sound after connecting to power

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.0.1.48
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): Xperia 10 Plus Dual Sim
UI LANGUAGE: Russian
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

Every time I plug in my phone to electric power, few minutes later I head a strange sound, like a little gong ringing single time. The delay between plugging in to power socket and this sound can be different. Sometimes in happens almost immediately, sometimes in up to 10 minutes (or even more). It doesn’t matter whether there is Do Not Disturb mode on or off. Also, it doesn’t matter whether the screen is on of off. If the screen is on, there is no notification visible when this sound happens.

This started happening after I upgraded so Sailfish OS 4.

I have Alien Dalvik running (I don’t know whether it’s related or not).
I have Google Play Services running in Alien Dalvik (I don’t know whether it’s related or not).

PRECONDITIONS:

Upgrade to Sailfish OS 4.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Plug in to power socket to charge your phone.
  2. Wait for a few minutes.
  3. Hear the strange sound.

EXPECTED RESULT:

No strange sounds after plugging in to power socket.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Strange sound few minutes after plugging in to power socket.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I don’t know what kind of additional information can be collected to investigate this issue.

5 Likes

Do you have any battery related apps installed?

Do you get a notification along with the gong?

In Settings, do you have "system sounds " enabled?

i can confirm this. Started happening after 4.0 update.
Took me a while to relate it to charging :smiley: happening at random time after charging starts, sometimes in few seconds, sometimes in 1-2 mins. Strange deep short midi sound. Got used to it, thought “it’s feature not a bug” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have any battery related apps installed?

No.

Do you get a notification along with the gong?

No.

In Settings, do you have "system sounds " enabled?

Yes. However, the sound can be heard in Do Not Disturb mode as well, when system sounds should not be played.

@virgi26: Please describe your setup in more details. Do you have Alien Dalvik running? Do you have Google Play Services running in Alien Dalvik? What’s your phone model?

These are power notifications coming from aliendalvik; a regression from Android 9 upgrade. They should be gone for you in the next release.

12 Likes

I have the same with my XA2 and XA2+. It happened after updating to Sailfish 4. And I heard it once with my old ipad mini too, when charging. What is it?

I found this sound in Android settings using the following steps.

1. Start Android Settings app from the terminal: apkd-launcher "" com.android.settings
  2. In Sound → Ringtone screen click on the ringtone selected by default (Titania in my case).
  3. Hear the sound.

And I have good news. The effect is gone after upgrading to Sailfish OS 4.1. Case closed.