Multiple browser icons in the menu

After having some issues with mime types and, mostly microtube, I’ve ended up having three browser icons in the menu. Not sure how I managed that, but I’d like to get rid of the two. Any ides or pointers where I need to look? Thanks!

2 Likes

Same problem here, I even have 4 browser icons now, lol
(but only in the app grid, in the “open with”-menu there is only one browser)

I fixed this by removing open-url.desktop from ~/.local/share/applications/.

(Move it somewhere so you can put it back if needed.)

I remember I deleted this exact file, seeing this tip somewhere already. Is there some file or folder where the icons for the menu are being kept? For example /usr/share/applications has a lot of *.desktop files, but I don’t think this is the correct place for that.

Never mess with things in that folder. All that matters is ~/.local/share/applications.

The way for me to fix it was:

1. Create a backup of ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
  2. Edit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
  3. look for all lines that are not x-scheme-handler or x-url-handler; this means usually document MIME types such as text/html or application/xml.
    If there are any that associate a document type with either open-url.desktop or sailfish-browser.desktop, remove that line.
  4. run update-desktop-database

NB: do not do this as root, do this as regular user! Especially that last step!

Just for fun, the icons in the Launcher are configured in ~/.config/lipstick/applications.menu. You can look at that file and see the multiple entries for the browser there. After the last step from the recipe above, they should dis-appear.

To get the changes visible, restart Lipstick/Homescreen, either from Sailfish Utilities, or with systemctl --user restart lipstick.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing out where the menu entries file is. I had three entries there, removing the two did the trick.
As for the mimeinfo.cache, I don’t have any entries there. Only when I install microtube do I have two entries, but, as I said, these are causing some issues, and even if I manually remove them or the microtube-url.desktop from the ~/.local/share/applications folder, the app recreates them. But that is something for another bug/issue.

1 Like