Multiple bluetooth output sources in SailfishOS

According to

it should be possible to utilize multiple bluetooth speakers simultaneously.
Did anybody ever achieve this in SailfishOS?
Thanks!

1 Like

I’m still mostly in a wired world but that would be great!
One day, there was no music without hm…how was that called?.. Stereo.
Today, portable = Mono. Regression? What happened?
So, if it’d be possible to direct L and R to two speakers, this would be beautiful!

Well thia ia rather about two different speakers with both channels each - while directing the channels seperately is probably possible with pulseaudio too.
Unfortunately, I’m a pulseaudio-noob (wath rather familiar with alsa) and I have no idea how to perform those steps mentioned in the tutorial via the command line.
I’d be happy to hear some thoughts!
Thanks!

On my (Linux) PC I can output audio simultaniously on several (USB) audio devices, as I only use wireless audio devices that come with their own, dedicated USB-Bt dongle this would probably not count.

For simultaneous audio playback on the phone I’m wondering whether the Bluetooth controller is capable to serve two devices in the same time. I do have two BT headsets connected to my phone here and then, however I assume just one of them is active, the other is in standby.

Yes, same for me when I connect to speakers - both show up as “connected” in the Bluetooth settings, but music.is only played through one. It’s probably needed to enable simultaneously in pulseaudio to achieve this. I’ll try to figure this out once I find the time, maybe today after work.

I just tried to load the module-combine-sink with pactl and it.was sucessfully loaded. I don’t have any bluetooth speaker here @work but I can’t wait to try it at home :slight_smile:

On my Ubuntu laptop I can only connect one a2dp_sink. A second one only connects to the HFP/HSP with low audio quality. If I play to combined audio there’s a small but noticable time gap between both speekers, which is not surprising as HFP/HSP use low latency / low bandwidth protocols and a2dp doesn’t have any realtime requirements as the data is buffered (and decoded) in the speaker.

On the phone I can connect two devices but I’m not aware how to switch between the devices. Actually calling pacmd list-sinks|grep "device.description" shows only the a2dp device connected first.

I’d assume that it’s the same issue on my laptop, only a single a2dp device is suppored at a time.

According to this thread[1] support for multiple a2dp sources has not been merged into pulseaudio at least until 2020. We might need to do some further research if it was merged by now - probably the genuine jolla version is not bleeding edge anyways, but since 4.4 is on the horizon it might feature a newer pulseaudio release then…

[1]bluetooth - Bluez multiple audio sources - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

1 Like

So that is probably the case for my Ubuntu 21.04.
One more option for multi speaker setup would be to connect one or more USB audio dongle via an USB-C hub. However I haven’t tried to connect anything to my USB-C port but plain USB cable for power supply or network connection to the PC.

Multiple bluetooth audio sources are only supported from bt5.0.
Probably depends on the bluetooth release version of your desktop’s bt-dongle. Mine would be too old, though.