Moving/reordering application panel interaction on desktop

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100% (always)
OSVERSION: 4.4.0.68
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III - xqbt52 - xqbt52 - 1.0.0.142 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: English (UK) (user: en_GB, os: en_GB.utf8)
REGRESSION: no

DESCRIPTION:

I’m not sure about the exact names for this, but what I mean are the minimized active application views on the ‘desktop’.

When you want to re-order active applications you need to lift your finger and put it down again on an application to move it. Moving your finger without lifting can have different effects depending on which direction is moved (i.e. pulley menu, open application drawer, and left/right carousel).

This is a) inconvenient because it requires an extra interaction, doesn’t feel intuitive, and has the possibility of accidentally closing one or more applications when hitting the close button or activating the pulley menu. And b) it is not consistent with how application icons interact in the application drawer, where a long press does allow immediate movement.

EXPECTED RESULTS:

When long pressing on an application panel, immediately enter movement mode.

After lifting up, return to normal interaction mode (i.e. showing close buttons, close-all pulley menu, etc). The close buttons can act as a visual cue that applications can be terminated. This may serve as a sort of notice that the close-all pulley is available (a highly impactful action).

ACTUAL RESULTS:

All my applications were unexpectedly closed because I tried to move an application downward, accidentally activating the pulley menu :frowning:

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: no
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other:

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger v0.9.6

1 Like

I’m not sure it really belongs in the bug reports category. It sounds more like a design discussion.

I agree with you on one point. It sounds logical, but when you have 4 or 15 applications open, it’s not necessarily convenient to click outside the thumbnails.

By the way, what you call desktop is called the Home view. More info: User Interface Basic Concepts | Sailfish OS Documentation