Mobilepay now needs Google Play Services

The 0.3 versions from October 2023 - they are marked Preview on the microG website, in F-Droid they are newer than Recommended.

If Lidl Plus works, the settings are OK.

I’m sorry to have to ask, but searching for “microg” on F-Droid brings up seven different packages (some of them backend, and some of them frontend), all with somewhat vague descriptions.
What specific packages constitute the set one should install to get to where you are?

@ExTechOp here is an old instruction with most of it obsolete, but I think that you need what is listed under “Install software” here. I believe these are the packages that your search with “microg” finds for you.

The signature spoofing should happen on the house nowadays. I don’t think you need to do much else than to start with microG Services Core and see to it that you get all the ticks in place in the Self-check.

1 Like

Thanks for your help here, following these (somewhat dated) instructions I’m now at this point with microG settings Self-Check:

(I can’t find anything matching “google fake store” or “phonesky”, for some reason? And trying to use the background location permissions button just does nothing, no pop-up?) but unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be enough for MobilePay, which just brusquely says:

What are your suggestions here?

The packages without the blue download arrow are what I got installed from F-Droid, and my stuff is working:

I think the FakeStore is what was automatically created when installing the microg package, and it is really just an empty husk to fool… something.

I have got Aurora Store installed, but I wouldn’t think that is what is needed here.

You have obviously rebooted the phone just in case after the installations?

@ExTechOp check out if this would be of assistance. Apparently the FakeStore needs to be a specific version:

But, checking out on Aptoide, I don’t seem to have a FakeStore or anything resembling to Google Play Stor installed (as suggested by one of the posters).

Found the problem, I had somehow neglected to install the “microG Companion” app.
Currently I have identified myself to MobilePay, and have selected a PIN code for this device.

After starting and entering the PIN, I get the wavy three blue dots display ⋯ and it usually gets stuck there. Sometimes clicking random spots on the screen will get it started, but as noted earlier, it seems flaky and random when it works at all. What a downgrade from the earlier version which worked just fine on SFOS!

1 Like

Interestingly enough, Aurora Store now suggests that I update Google Play services (by Google LLC). How did I end up here, I explicitly didn’t want Google Play services so I installed microG?

That is normal. Just add that to the update black list.

MicroG is there doing its thing and being convincing enough in faking itself to be the Google Play Services. The MicroG components may show up under false names in various Android app store apps, be careful to not accidentally “update all”. As suggested, blacklisting any “Google” component whenever they show up in appstore apps prevents them from showing up for update in the future.

DO NOT UPDATE, obviously.

1 Like

The latest version of Mobilepay looks like it works as it should, so far.

2 Likes

Confirm, the version 7.7.0 (4401344) does make it past the bounching dots and to the main view, and the app can take the minimizing-maximizing without becoming black and unresponsive in the process. Other Android apps being open isn’t causing any issues either.

Gotta love Danske Bank still giving you the occasional 404 multifail just to keep it real.

However it still doesn’t work without MicroG like the old version used to do.

Just in case, there is also this updated tread about Microg installation:

And the most recent one, iirc:

3 Likes

I managed to make a payment with 7.6.1 this week. I had to use the bottom bar tap trick to make the page render and then click on the right sport, taking into account the shifted bottom elements. That’s really janky, even in my books, but it did work…

Indeed, now updating to 7.7.0 fixes the non-rendering front page after the three dots (X10III+MicroG).

I’m just adding a confirmation of that combination of MobilePay version 7.7.0 (4401344), Xperia 10 and MicroG 0.3.0 seems to be working.

2 Likes

I’ve now reinstalled Mobilepay 7.8.0 (4401419) from scratch, and it seems to work a lot better than their initial attempts (using MicroG Companion 0.2.1, Services 0.2.27.223616, Services Framework Proxy 0.1.0 & al). However, now I can’t get past the “confirm your identity” phase, because it can’t locate a browser it can use. The suggestion of installing Chrome isn’t that enticing, but is this how you got past that?

@ExTechOp You may want to try if it could find Chromium-based Cromite or Mulch instead, available in F-Droid.

I have no idea if it can, but Chrome will insist on installing some additional bits and I don’t know if they uninstall with Chrome.

For some reason, I cannot locate either Cromite or Mulch on F-Droid?

You need to first install their own repos on the F-Droid:

Link for the Cromite repo can be found here: GitHub - uazo/cromite: Cromite a Bromite fork with ad blocking and privacy enhancements; take back your browser!

A word of caution, though: Cromite seems to be quite a resource hog for me at least, and seems to drain my battery fast if left open in the background. Bromite was a nice one, sad that it got obsolete a year back or so.