Mobile data with roaming stops working after some time, reboot helps

REPRODUCIBILITY: 75% (often)
OSVERSION: 4.5.0.24
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III - xqbt52 - xqbt52 - 1.0.1.23 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: Polski (user: pl_PL, os: pl_PL.utf8)
REGRESSION: no - This is not a new problem, has been happening since Xperia 10 and years ago. I think Jolla 1 was much better about that though.

DESCRIPTION:

Fresh after a reboot mobile data works with roamin just fine, with 2, 3 and 4G. But after some time it will only work with 4G and not older networks, and often it gives up working even with 4G.
Restarting ofono, turning on and off airplane mode or changing preffered network or even network operator does nothing, but rebooting the phone helps immediately.
The time to encounter this failure is about 2-4 hours for me when making many network changes, like driving a car through Europe, and 2-72 hours when not moving much.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Use roaming in EU
  2. Preferably move a lot or have bad signal to cause as many network changes as possible.

EXPECTED RESULTS:

Mobile data keeps working indefinitely

ACTUAL RESULTS:

It stops working after some time

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: yes
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: none specified

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I have sent the logs to ofono-debug@jolla.com with the link to this topic, posted below as well.
Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled

LOG FILE LINKS:

I rebooted the phone started logging and continued to drive through Slovakia and managed to replicate this issue so quickly it should be all in this log:

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.10.5
1 Like

Another issue that might be related is that without roaming sometimes the data will stop working with 2G and 3G, but keep working with 3.5G and 4G, or sometimes it will work only with 4G. This is harder to replicate that above issue with roaming, but still happens enough that it is annoying.
Log file below:

1 Like

Thanks for the report, internal bug report linked.

2 Likes