Mobiilivarmenne fails on Xperia 10 II

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.24 (Kvarken)
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): Xperia X10 II - Dual SIM
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): ?

DESCRIPTION:

Trying to use Mobiilivarmenne on a 10 II does not seem to work. I have set up the system identically to my older Xperia XA2 Ultra where this works fine.

PRECONDITIONS:

Have a mobile phone with a Mobiilivarmenne SIM in it.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Visit website (eg. https://www.kansalaisaloite.fi/ ) that can ask for authorization using Mobiilivarmenne
  2. Send out authorization request to your phone number

EXPECTED RESULT:

Authorization request arrives, you can use pulldown menu to accept it, and then give your mobiilivarmenne PIN number to send out the accepted authorization.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Authorization request arrives, but the pulldown menu stubbornly stays empty and thus you cannot accept the request, and can never proceed to the PIN entry.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Simultaneously, something fishy happens with the “Elisa” pseudo-app, which I guess is a bridge to applications run on the SIM. When you try to use the application directly, you get a message “no SIM apps available”, it closes itself, and the whole “Elisa” app disappears from the Sailfish app list. After a while it will again re-appear on its own in the main applications list.
Attempts of trying to use Mobiilivarmenne will also cause this app to disappear for a moment.

Thanks for your report. There will be a fix for this on OS release 4.3.0 (but not yet on 4.2.0).

Note: The mobile certificate is broken on some SIM cards while the rest (like on my Telia SIM) work fine.

2 Likes

The above problems happen with an Elisa SIM. Thank you for the report on the fix.

I have a Telia SIM but it’s not working. I never receive the authorization request. Also trying to do activation again doesn’t function.

Should I go get a new Sim? If the fix ain’t coming in the next release it’s gonna take months, right?

As detailed above, I do receive the authentication request but am unable to acknowledge it, so your problem sounds a bit different?

I would suggest trying out the same SIM on a known-to-work (non-10 II) Sailfish or Android phone, to see if the issue is with the phone (operating system) or the SIM mobiilivarmenne mechanism itself?

Well, I had the same SIM on my Xperia X where it worked fine. So I think this is somewhat related to your problem.

As expected update to 4.2.0.19 Verla did not correct this. I’ll just have to wait for 4.3.0.

I have a Telia sim and I just tested: drop the sim into old xa2 and mobiilivarmenne works just fine, switch to 10ii and it is dead. As the same sime works in the xa2, how could it be a problem in the sim? And, more interestingly, do I have any chance to get mobiilivarmenne working before 4.3.0 as that is prone to take ages, as we are just about to get 4.2.0 released?

Just tested with 4.2.0.21 and still not working, unfortunately still as expected.
My guess is this issue is due the 32-to-64 bit architecture change.

Just loaded SFOS 4.3.0.12 (Suomenlinna) and was able to authenticate myself to the suomi.fi portal via Elisa mobiilivarmenne. So, this may now be corrected?!

@ ExTechOp
There was a fix for this issue. It used to hit only some SIM cards which made it hard to find.

This seems to be back with Vanha Rauma 4.4.0.64. It worked before update. Has anyone had success with mobiilivarmenne on 4.4.0.64?

Edit: tried to re-register, but nothing happens on the phone when it should prompt for creating a new pin code.

I have not had issues with an Sony Xperia 10II and an Elisa mobile connection, just checked that it does still work.

Maybe the problem is then specific to Telia, if Elisa works okay.

I have never had problems with mobiilivarmenne and Telia on my X10II. I have 4.4.0.64 and last used it on tuesday.

Maybe related?

https://www.telia.fi/yrityksille/asiakastuki/viat-ja-hairiot/hairiotiedote?id=INCTSF002558873&lang=fi

I got it fixed by registering the mobiilivarmenne by using my old xa2, then I switched the sim into 10ii and mobiilivarmenne still works. So using the mobiilivarmenne in 10ii works, but registering does not.

In theory this is now fixed (there was a solution marked), so I’ve also tagged it as “fixed”. If the original bug is still valid though, please let me know.

Telia Mobiilivarmenne works on Xperia 10II for some time but then stops. No authorization request appears and if I choose the Telia app, the Mobiilivarmenne properties can not be seen. After reboot it works for some time (a day or so) until it doesn’t. A bit irritating. The device is running version 4.5.0.19 (Struven ketju), the situation was same with previous version. The same SIM card worked flawlessly on a HMD Nokia 6.2 Android.