Missing Double Tap gesture dearly

I really enjoyed the double tap feature in Jolla 1 more than the finger print sensors in the Xperias. But ever since Sailfish X came into play, this feature has been listed in known issues only. Why is the double tap to wake up screen is taking so long to be implemented? Is it possible for someone to explain on the technical (or whatever) difficulties?

11 Likes

Welcome to the club.

The only Sony devices that offered double tap to wake (in android) were the Tama ones and those are not officially supported for SFOS -community port exists. But as it seems its not a feature Android people care about and haven’t seen it mentioned for any other Sony device. Might have missed it but anyway.

I think i remember someone saying that the screen controller (or touch) needs to support it in its firmware but take that with a grain of salt.

3 Likes

That was the original answer on why it’s not in there.

3 Likes

The post you have shared has mentioned the issues faced after enabling it. But my question is - what is stopping the Jolla guys from fixing it?

1 Like

i guess specific h/w features are required to be implemented efficiently, otherwise it will have big impact in battery consumption. interestingly some xperia phones like the tama ones can be activated by picking up the phone

Following seems to work fine on Sailfish X:

mcetool --set-doubletap-mode=show-unlock-screen
mcetool -i disabled
mcetool -z proximity
mcetool --set-doubletap-wakeup=proximity

powersave is always on, no problem with the unlock screen anymore after adding the line doubletap-wakeup=proximity.

To get mcetool: pkcon install mce-tools

I have xz2c with android and it does not have double tap to wake

1 Like

I would have sworn that before i flashed it with SFOS there was an option in the settings and that i played with it a bit.

However its been years and i take your word for it.

Doesn’t work on the Xperia 10 II, and still gets stuck (i.e. doesn’t respond) occasionally on the Xperia X.

My experience with this after using Double Tap for more than 3 years on the Xperia X: It’s definitely less than occasionally, I only observed a handful of hiccups. Like getting stuck once a year with daily usage.

edit:
I found this while searching for some HW feature specification, so I might as well leave some notes here.

Xperia 10 II: device-sony-pdx201/config.xml at 063aa9971a3f3494b6591b525d1196fe1a7f5ef7 · sonyxperiadev/device-sony-pdx201 · GitHub

Xperia X: device-sony-suzu/config.xml at 86319176d7431cd2c72ba8c29bb9e2930e034bf8 · sonyxperiadev/device-sony-suzu · GitHub

Both contain

<!-- Whether device supports double tap to wake -->
<bool name="config_supportDoubleTapWake">false</bool>

so it’s not supported by official Sony software on both devices. Still, the question remains whether the HW/vendor blobs do support double tap.