Missing albums due to language tag

REPRODUCIBILITY: always
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64 (Vanha Rauma)
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia X
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: maybe?

DESCRIPTION:

When the device or SD-card contains music (FLAC) albums/tracks with the “language” tag (only tested with FLAC), they are not indexed by Tracker and thus don’t show up in the media player, etc.

PRECONDITIONS:

Some FLAC media files with the language tag set.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Copy the media file to the device via the SD card
  2. Look in the media player
  3. The media file does not show up

EXPECTED RESULT:

I expected the file to show up. When removing the tag on my PC I can get Tracker to see it.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The file does not show up.

MODIFICATIONS:

None.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Running tracker3 status reveals an error:

$ tracker3 status
Currently indexed: 4061 files, 764 folders
Remaining space on database partition: 6.9 GB (35.91%)
All data miners are idle, indexing complete
1 recorded failure

…/path/to/file.flac Property 'http://tracker.api.gnome.org/ontology/v3/nfo#language' not found in the ontology
3 Likes

I’ve seen that but never knew the cause of it. And there is another issue where the album cover is shows but when you tap it its empty.

The media player needs some love.

2 Likes

Probably. But this is just Tracker not knowing what to do with the “language” tag (which gets added by almost everything tagged via Musicbrainz).
This doesn’t happen on my desktop by the way (Tracker version 3.1.2 on Debian 11 (bookworm/sid)).

Thanks for the report @paulvt, and for the additional info about the error message, which is particularly helpful.

We now have a report about this on our internal bug tracker, so I’ve tagged it as “tracked”.

1 Like

Created upstream:

Didn’t have a file to test with, though. Or what is the tag on the flac level?

2 Likes

The tags are (according to metaflac):

LANGUAGE=eng

I guess I cannot legally share the files from my music library. I hope the tag is enough.