Microsoft Exchange gets stuck at updating emails

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 90%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.24
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): Sony Xperia 10 Plus Dual SIM
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): No

DESCRIPTION:

When i check for emails for Microsoft Exchange it gets stuck in Updating… mode and doesn’t finish the process. I have tried changing some settings and saving in account and rebooting but it’s still stuck there. Even if i close the app then re-open.

I have seen this happen a number of times now on this latest update.

PRECONDITIONS:

Add a Microsoft Exchange email account

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Go into email app
  2. Pull down to update
  3. Wait for app to update

EXPECTED RESULT:

I should see.my emails returned

ACTUAL RESULT:

The app.is.stuck in updating mode

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

1 Like

This is probably the same (known) problem that a number of users are having, see Exchange Email Synchronisation Reliability - #8 by Steve_Everett.

This is a long standing issue going back some years now and there is, currently, no fix available.

I can see you must have lost the will to live with this issue then. I am thinking that Sailfish thinks Microsoft Exchange is the anti-christ!

I think I must be battle hardened now to all the workarounds needed to keep Sailfish running! My Sailfish XA2 is now really only a hobby phone - I use an iPhone 12 as my daily driver. This is mainly because it just works out of the box and has the reliability needed for my business tasks, Exchange email included.

I temporarily solved the problem by setting up an exchange account just for calendar synchronisation (email disabled) and a separate IMAP account just for email (on the same device).

Interesting. I deleted mine for a week or so then set it back up and it’s been fine ever since. It has a mind of its own. Luckily I also have a backup mobile on Android 12 (shh don’t tell anyone).

Yes I also have another mobile which is always good when you are traveling.

I’m closing this topic as a duplicate of the issue raised by @Steve_Everett below, so as to encourage the discussion to happen in a single topic. If anyone thinks this is a mistake, please send me a direct message and I’ll open it again.