MicroG: What to do about apps that say "You don't have Google Play services" inspite of MicroG being installed?

I just upgraded my Xperia 10 to Sailfish 4.6 Sauna, and for the first time installed MicroG from the F-Droid store. My banking app (Bank99/Ing DiBa Austria) installed okay from the Aurora Store.
When I open the app, it says I don’t have GAPPS and Push notifications won’t work, which I verified - they don’t.
Any ideas what I might be missing?

1 Like

I just noticed something similar. It turned out that signature spoofing was disabled during upgrade, so I re-enabled that. I had removed and reinstalled MicroG packages and given permissions, not sure if tgat was necessary. Now my banking apps start but it looks like I have to nuke their data and re-register them. Annoying, but doable.

1 Like

I lost Internet connectivity after restarting Android AppSupport. Rebooting fixed that, and now most banking apps work - one needs re-registering still.

How do you “nuke their data”?

Settings > Apps > [app name] > Clear Cache and/or Clear Data.

3 Likes

I tried that, than re-installed and re-registered the app, no luck. It still says it doesn’T have Google Play.
Did I read that correctly that at least at some point, you’ve had Android apps wokring fine with Push Notifications, enabled by the use of MicroG?

the MicroG apps that I installed never asked me for any permissions iirc. What kind of permissions did you give them, and how? Were you asked for them, or do you just know we need to do it?

They need many permissions to work correctly. Most important one is Signature Spoofing, which essentially makes apps thinking MicroG == Google Mobile Services (despite MicroG having different signature).

The rest is handled by MicroG Settings app in which you can request the remaining permissions.

1 Like

thank you. I did not understand that I could actually request the remaining permissions in the MicroG app. I thought it was just to diagnose the status - meaning where checkmarks are missing, I couldn’t change that in the app directly, because: tapping the checkboxes actually doesn’t do anything, they don’t respond!
I found out now you have to tap the text next to the checkbox :man_facepalming: Very unintuitive IMHO.
Hwoever, checking all the boxes makes my banking app believe it has Google Play services now…

6 Likes

I don’t quite understand how apparently you have to enable signature spoofing both in the MicroG app AND in Sailfish settings for AppSupport - where it’s actually called “Disable Android AppSupport system package verification”. Someone here said that that’s actually the same. Can anyone confirm this?

1 Like

Enable this first in AppSupport (AlienDalvik) Sailfish OS settings, reboot. This allows signature spoofing for compatible apps.

Then install latest MicroG (0.3.2 currently) and in MicroG settings, click on Signature Spoofing and confirm the popup, which will appear.

5 Likes

Following the update to 4.6 my banking app is the only app that doesn’t work. I have tried reinstalling it, reinstalled micro-g along with the companion app and framework from F-droid. tried all manner of permission combos in the android settings, micro g settings, cleared data and storage cache via android app settings and sailfish settings for the banking app and micro-g.

After all that it still doesn’t work and displays an error message that now GMS services are available on the device. I really want to avoid hard reseting the phone and end up in situation where I’d need to re-flash the o/s which would not be possible as my usb port only charges and cannot send/receive data now due to wear and tear.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Phone: Xperia 10

I think the banking app recognizes that the system has changed due to the update. For the app it’s like installing it on a new device.
So maybe it needs complete re-registering like on a new device, because the system fingerprint now has changed.

Banking app was also reinstalled after comment nothing… and since sailfish removes app files completely when removed and gsuite is broken. Presuming every major update breaks g-suite, this leaves people in a very messy predicament when it comes to restoring apps. Especially since many no longer offer any ability to back up to a microsd card slot. Jolla needs to implement a full device back up onto msd card and USB OTG along with a desktop manager to get around this issue. Especially since Sailfish X is mostly used on legacy Sony devices which will have slow degrading USB ports.

1 Like

Therefore I do not update now.

1 Like

Off-topic wishful nonsense.

1 Like

What is an OTG? (20 chars)

Still off-topic but:

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: Quality of life improvements is wishful off topic nonsense? What planet did you fall out from? Pluto?

A desktop manager would allow users to easily flash updates and back up their devices without having to worry about it not able to restore their applications and data. Because if micro-g install is borked you cannot restore any damn data after a hard reset as the android apps are no long resident in the mainphones storage. Sure, you can plug your phone in via usb onto a PC and then go and manually back up the android files but to expect non-tech savy folks to do that?

Is absolutely retarded.

Without the average consumer buying their devices and subscriptions how do you expect to Jolla to grow as a business?

USB OTG is a standard feature on all modern smartphones now so that is needed for feature parity.
Back up to MSD card exists in the o/s but not for android applications.

It’s morons like you that push users away and end up hurting Jolla’s ability to generate future revenue.

Micro-G has constantly broken for me every major update and unlike previous updates no fix is working. So yeah, it’s absolutely on topic because if Jolla expect users to go through hoops every major update to get micro-g working. They won’t have a much of a userbase any more.

1 Like