Message App and People App will not open if message app is closed + and High battery drain

Hi is there a way to backup messages??? Also you can delete the database?? I would be down for giving that a try…

I dont know anything about the cli commands…never ran one on this phone

I dont know if this shows anything worth while

If you are not used to cli, I wouldn’t like to push you into regrettable experiments.
Temporarily deleting the message db is just an idea but a confirmation from @flypig and/or @nephros would be good as they are much more skilled than me. I also don’t want to divert you from what they proposed.
Just an idea.

On your logs, post #24, first pic, second graph, we can see a big batt rdain at around 12:00. Do you remember what you did at this time?

If you are willing to risk loosing your messages and/or ruin your installation and if despite what I wrote previously you want, you can try to copy your messages files and delete the original files (and put them back later).
Read once entirely before you begin.
The easyest way is to do it from your computer’s terminal, if you can, so you can copy-paste the commands. See here.

1. If possible, have a computer to read this page.

2. Have a reliable backup freshly made of your phone

3. Reboot the phone, don’t open messages

4. Go into plane mode (to avoid receiving a message while manipulating the messages files)

5. Activate developer mode into settings and input a password.

6. Launch the terminal (or do it through ssh) and write:

devel-su

7. Enter the password you just recorded into Settings’ developper mode page

8. Write (you can write only the begining like “/ho” and press tab, the shell will complete the path for you):

cp -a /home/defaultuser/.local/share/commhistory /home/defaultuser/Documents/commhystory_save

to copy the messages directory into /home/defaultuser/Documents/

To verify the dirs are identical:

diff /home/defaultuser/.local/share/commhistory /home/defaultuser/Documents/commhystory_save

The only output should be:

Common subdirectories: /home/defaultuser/.local/share/commhistory/data and /home/defaultuser/Documents/commhystory_save/data

if you have attachments in the messages. If not, the output should be nothing.

If the command outputs something else, stop here and report.

9. Remove the original files with (be careful with this command, an error could be fatal!)

rm -fr /home/defaultuser/.local/share/commhistory/*

the star “*” means “all files/dirs”

10. Now, launch the messages app.
    Of course, you will have no messages any more.
    Try to close it to see if the problem persists.

1. Now you can copy your message files back:

cp -a /home/defaultuser/Documents/commhystory_save/* /home/defaultuser/.local/share/commhistory/

2. Verify that msg AND attachmentsare are back by launching the app.

3. If you wish, you can delete the copied messages directory (but I’d wait a bit, never know…):

rm -fr /home/defaultuser/Documents/commhystory_save

4. You can de-activate the developer mode and airplane off.

I tried these commands on my phone while I was writing but it is not a 100% guarantee it will perfectly work on your side.

1 Like

As we wanted to see the CPU sleep statistics, please tap on the CPU sleep graph to go to the CPU sleep page and show a screenshot of that page.

Will do Ill post later… Thank you to everyone and all the help you are providing

So this is interesting …i closed the memesmessmessaging application by mistake…I have the people application up from a previous call… I can switches between tabs… ButBut iicantiicant start the application even though its up…odd ( the double type is happening on its own as I type.

attached is the cpu pic and the proof that i cant start messaging or people even though the people application is up…odd

This as I allowed the phone to stay in the ssame stastate over night without charging.

not sure if this shows anything

Either something is wrong with the collection of the cpu sleep statistics, or your devices does not go in sleep mode. Judging on your battery drain I would say the latter.

It’s unclear why you’re having trouble with the contacts and messaging app @808 , and whether it’s related to the battery drain.

If you try running these at the command line, the log output may well give an idea about why these apps aren’t starting. The steps to test this:

1. Log in to your device over SSH.
  2. Enter privileged mode (it’ll ask you to enter your password):
    devel-su -p

3. Run the messaging app:
    jolla-messages

4. Observe what it outputs to the terminal.

Similarly for the contacts app:

1. Close the messaging app if it’s still running.
  2. Run the contacts app:
    jolla-contacts

3. Observe what it outputs to the terminal.

Would you mind letting us know what you see from this please?

Out of interest, did you try the suggestion from @ric9k to clear your messages databases? I’d recommend taking a backup of your device (Settings > Backup > Back up now) first, but that may be worth a try. Similarly you could try clearing out your contacts.

Finally, you could try installing mcetool to check your autosuspend status (which should be set to “enabled”), like this:

devel-su pkcon install mce-tools
mcetool | grep suspend
1 Like

SureSure II will trytrytrytry thesethese thingthingsthings (the phone does the double thing on its own) im not clear on the what you mean by the ssh thing…sorry. Im not the smart tech person…

also in the delete db thing… It was not clear to me on how to do it… Do i just delete old messages?

Also is there a way to recover a password ?
I havehave nono idea whenwhen andand what i set it tooto

I’ve sent a private message with a suggestion to try to fix the double typing (private to avoid introducing an off-topic conversation here).

That’s a very good question. As a user, you wouldn’t normally be expected to use SSH at all. However, when performing debugging of a specific issue, which we’re now getting into, I think it would make your life easier. It allows you to connect to your phone from a desktop/laptop and enter commands there, rather than typing them directly on your phone.

You’d need access to a Windows, Linux or macOS desktop or laptop connected to the same home network as your phone for this.

I’d be happy to walk you through how to do this, but would first need to know which system (Windows/Linux/macOS) you’d be using for it.

Do you mean the password on the Settings > Developer tools page (that’s the password I mentioned in my previous post)? Instead of recovering it, it’s probably easier just to enter a new one there (during the process of changing it, you’ll be asked to enter the PIN for your phone).

See here for “the ssh thing”:
Step by step guide to use SSH to your phone

1 Like

I’d be very curious to know what did generate this double words! :–)

Oh, what a super resource. Thanks @ric9k for that.

:–) Thanks,
As a not-yet-hasbeen-newbie, I often see there is a gap between “normal users” ressources and high knowledgable users resources/tricks on the forum.
In other words, nice carpet on the floor and first step but some tiers/steps are missing to begin climbing the ladder.
So “normal” users have at first to climb first meter with the arms only. And this filters. Perhaps avoiding a bit letting grow the troops.
2 cents only

1 Like

I failed to mention one other issue… The phone can no longer make calls when set to prefer 4g.

I can only make and receive calls when set toto prefer 3g…

this started about 2 updates back.

The service is Red Pocket… Also there is one phone number of a friend that I talked to all the time… I can no longer call her…only text messages work…when I try to make a voice call it gives a Verizon message… But she can call call me meme no problem …

something has gonna nuts for sure…

i will read through that stuff and see what happen… I will most likely destroy the phone in the process so I maybe signing off for good… Thanks for the helps

It’s very hard to follow various issues on a same thread. Please open a new bug report if nobody already did it.

You will not destroy the phone, c’mon, :yum: do things step by step and one by one!

But id you have too many issues, it would perhaps be easier to reflash you phone. Or, did you make it already? I don’t remember.

One thing is sure: First, you have to do a backup.
Have you already made a backup?