Make netflix work again

Netflix used to work (4.x version)
but since a couple of upgrades ago i get: app not supported.

My guess is that if it used to work it could probably be easily fixed?

1 Like

But it does work in SFOS 4.3.0 with Android support on XA2. Netflix v4.15.1, code 14947.

i’d rather 8.x was working :frowning:

not working on 4.3.0.12 on a X10

Confirmed to work on Xperia10iii:

• Downloaded using Onyxbits’ Raccoon APK downloader
    • on a Linux laptop:
      java -jar raccoon-4.21.0.jar

• (You need to setup a device with your – or a secondary – Google account; as Raccoon doesn’t support 2FA, use an application-specific password)
    • Menu Market → option Downgrade App
    • input Package ID → com.netflix.mediaclient
    • input Version code → 14947
    • radio App is → Free
    • click :arrow_down: Download
  • copy over the file to the smartphone’s Android Download/ folder:
    rsync -avPz  ~/Raccoon/content/apps/com.netflix.mediaclient/com.netflix.mediaclient-14947.apk defaultuser@192.168.2.15:android_storage/Download/

• Then on the smartphone, apk installed with Split APKs installer
    • touch button Install APKs
    • touch button Internal file picker
    • browse to Download
    • select com.netflix.mediaclient-14947.apk
    • touch button Select(1)
    • touch button Install
  • Do not forget to blacklist on AuroraStore to avoid accidentally updating it:
    • touch ≡ (burger menu) → :no_entry_sign: Blacklist manager
    • check entry Netflix com.netflix.mediaclient 4.14.1 build 14947 in the list.
  • Test it
    • try playing an episode or movie

Trouble probably come from downloading the wrong version (needs to be exactly build 14967 in my experience) or accidentally upgrading it (8.x series doesn’t work).
At least it’s only available as an armabi-v7a build, so no risk of accidentally running the Aarch64 build on a 32bit Sailfish.

2 Likes

This exact version also works with my Xperia 10 II.

1 Like

Ooff… Why this trouble when one can get Aurora store from f-droid, and use that to anonymously download the correct version directly from the google play store? No pc required, all on phone, much easier, faster, no account needed.

Because my notes about this date back :sweat_smile: from before when Aurora became the popular way to download a precise build version.
Raccoon was my go-to solution when I want to downloadš something precise.

But yes it should work:

For Aurora the instructions would be:

• icon :mag: (Search)
  • search for Netflix
  • pick Netflix – Netlifx, Inc.
  • top right menu ⋮ (additionnal options, aka. “kebab” menu) → option “Manual download”
  • in the filed above “Enter version code you wish to download”: type 14947
  • click button “check”
  • (this download and installs the packages)
  • return to main menu with “←”
  • touch ≡ ( burger menu ) → :no_entry_sign: Blacklist manager
  • check entry Netflix com.netflix.mediaclient 4.14.1 build 14947 in the list.

¹: This still includes things that are not visible to Aurora because Google thinks the phone is incompatible. (e.g.: several banking application list NFC and/or Bluetooth as hard requirement because they can optionnally pay using those routes ; as Aliendalvik doesn’t have a way to forward between GNU/linux’s and androids API for either, the X10iii on Sailfish is considered as incompatible even if everything else, including the default pay by QR code works and is an European standard anyway )

7 Likes

You may also use netflix via the Kodi plugin. Never tried myself though, but I got Sky and amazon prime working on my Gemini some time ago and put a howto in the kodi thread on tmo.

1 Like

Has anyone a Netflix solution for Xperia 10II with the release 4.5.0.16? The mentioned build 14947 is not working. Android application starts and close itself immediately. Thank you!

1 Like

Probably won’t work, as Kodi on Android uses the widevine of the platform - which you’d need for lvl1 DRM-shite. And the platform is “Google Play Services”, which of course is not part of Android. So, you can thank the asshats at google again for this one.

Works for me on 4.5.0.16 with that build on my XA2. But that’s a 32-bit installation, so that might be a difference.

1 Like

Doesn’t work on my xperia 10II either, after the update (same issue). I also tried updating the app, but that one says ‘This app is not compatible with your device. […]’

2 Likes

Yes, on my XA2 Plus is working also. Only on Xperia 10 II is not working.

Works on my XA2+

Fails on my 10iii

1 Like

Info: Since Release 4.5.0.21, Netflix Build Version 14947 works also in 10 II (I would expect it will work on 10 III).

6 Likes

The previously working build does not work anymore, as support from Netflix has stopped since 10 days or so. Browsing still does work, but I cannot play any videos anymore.
The current version still displays the ‘this app is not compatible’-message.

1 Like

Could be time to set sail towards the Caribbean

3 Likes

I would change the title of this thread to “Make Netflix great again”… I don’t care about the app/service anymore.