Low memory conditions when tracker has a large database

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.58
HARDWARE: XA2
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: Probably since introduction of Tracker 3

DESCRIPTION:

When indexing my relatively large music directory structure (~33k items), SFOS has very little free memory.
SFOS applications more or less behave, with the OOM killer coming to the rescue occasionally; however, Android applications either don’t start altogether or stop functioning properly.

PRECONDITIONS:

Have a large collection of media for Tracker to index, preferably on an SD card.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Above.

EXPECTED RESULT:

On the XA2, have a little bit over 1GB of RAM for your programs (NB: caching also counts as “free”).

ACTUAL RESULT:

See description.

MODIFICATIONS:

None

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I added the file .nomedia to my music collection and now all seems to be working a bit more normally. However, I haven’t actually identified which is the process that’s hogging so much RAM - it’s quite hard as well since every Android process is a very bad citizen.

Works fine with my XA2, email, browser, books, plus two android apps

Thank you - I suspected that this could just be me.
So, any advice from anyone as to how you can reset the Android subsystem would be nice :slight_smile:

It could be, have you customised sfos or ad?

I wouldn’t say I customised sfos or ad - beyond manually installing some things from openrepos (osm scout, pure maps) and using apkpure (because aptoide won’t work for some reason), I haven’t done much.
I’m tempted to uninstall ad, remove ~/android_storage and install again, but unsure as to whether this is wise.

Right - I changed the title and description, I think Android wasn’t the problem per se, it just doesn’t deal with OOM very gracefully, which is more a UX thing than anything else.
I suspect tracker doesn’t like all my music.