List of how banking apps work in Sailfish?

I would like to have a list of how banking apps work in Sailfish. I imagine one country by country, bank by bank, app by app where users can comment about usability. I haven’t found any here. Have I missed someting?
Maybe I need to start a list like this. Does anybody have any good ideas?
I’ll soon change our household bank and the apps of the bank have to work on Sailfish.

Edit: The list is now here: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/banking-apps-on-sailfish-os/
Please edit it with your own experiences.

1 Like

Here is a seed incase someone starts to put together such a list:

• Finland
    • Osuuspankki
      • OP-mobiili version 64.0.2 (6406) and earlier
      • Pivo (a mobile paying application (similar to MobilePay) made by OP Group) version 3.20.4 (335) and earlier

Works at least on my Xperia 10, SFOS 4.5 and MicroG 0.3.0 (not sure if this is required). I have been using both OP-mobiili and Pivo probably since I got this Xperia 10 back in the SFOS 3.x/MicroG 0.1.0 days and I don’t remember there ever being any problems using these apps.

2 Likes

Problem with this is rather small userbase and possible combinations (clean appsupport vs appsupport + microg vs appsupport + opengapps), even if an app starts and doesn’t shout at you about rooted device like say citibank, it might fail later, so you’d need users with accounts in all those banks (and all three combinations), as just installing and running an app is no guarantee it doesn’t fail later

2 Likes

That’s the reason you need to add the installed version.

1 Like

A specific version will promptly become unsupported or otherwise irrelevant though.

I for one cannot understand why one would want to bank on mobile. Paying bills or otherwise managing your money really benefits from sitting down at a full computer in peace and quiet. Makes you all the less scammable too.

Furthermore, critical infrastructure like this should not be beholden to apps, and especially not proprietary ones on proprietary platforms. The sooner we can get away from that the better.

Just my 2 cents. I’ll stop raining on your parade now.

3 Likes

Come to Portugal and you will understand… :wink:
For certain action with BPI, one needs the app (btw, it works no XA2 4.5 wo MicroG).
Just saw an announcemente of CGD that an app will soon be necessary. The app says it needs GSF, will have to install MicroG and test it…

2 Likes

I totally agree that a computer is superior to mobile apps when doing banking, but I have to admit that, if I occasionally get a paper bill delivered to my home instead of getting an e-bill to my web bank, it’s pretty convenient to scan the barcode with a banking app, if the bill has one.

I think the main use for these banking apps in Finland is that, if you don’t want to pay for a mobileID, you can use your bank for strong authentication on the web (all kinds of governmental websites, etc.) or some online stores use payment processors, who redirect you to your online bank to confirm/finalise the payment. When logging in, banks require second-factor authentication, and the bank app/banks’ own authenticator app is usually a handier alternative to the one time use key lists.

Revolut still works with MicroG, apart from Google Pay. Just never tell them you lost your phone – they’ll cut of access to your money and make you jump through ridiculous hoops to get it back.

As said before, compiling such a list is not going to work or be meaningful for the future. Too many combinations and things changing too fast.

In many countries in Europe using an app for banking is basically not an option but a need, no matter what device you want to do that banking on. The apps are used for 2FA, all non-standard of cause and with a crapload of “security”. And some banks will require 2FA for every single session, even just checking balance.

One thing that seems to be missing in appsupport is support for fingerprints. Luckily my two banking apps work without.

Just to bypass the discussion if using mobile banking is wise or not: tha Android apps of my bank 1822direkt (a subsidiary of Sparkasse Frankfurt/Main, Germany) have been working on SFOS for ages. That is the actual banking app, as well as the qr-tan app used for MFA.
Just my two cents: why should a smartphone app be less secure than a random desktop computer with a web browser?

Principally the use of a banking app on a smart phone in combination with an authorisation app on the same device weakens the idea of the MFA. On top of that, establishing a secure framework for the banking should be simpler for the bank using existing an broadly tested software like a browser (and only care for a decent web portal) than creating this from scratch, like for an app.

MFA can of cause also be established on one device. One factor could be knowing a password, the other one having a registered key within an app.

For such a list, I could add my experience:

• Austria
    • Volksbank
      • VB ID-App - works perfectly fine (except notifications) without microG or any modifications
      • VB Quick-App - works perfectly fine (except notifications) without microG or any modifications
    • Oberbank
      • Security-App - haven’t tried it on SailfishOS, but even on /e/OS ist only works with microG AND enabling registering your device with Google servers in microG :roll_eyes:

this is true, but having it on a single device makes it susceptible to attacks with malware.
You will realize that I’m a bit paranoid, but that’s why I only use chipTAN for authentification anyways :wink:

Germany: N26 is working fine without play services or microg

Also germany comdirect phototan working on xa2.

Thank you for your input. I made a list I will improve with the help of willing forum members.

2 Likes

Germany Volksbank: VR SecureGo Plus
working on Xperia 10 III without play services or microg

1 Like

On my Xperia 10 II also these VR Bank apps are working without play services or microg

I will add:

• Netherlands ABN AMRO working great.

• Bulgaria DSK bank - DSK Smart app working great.

1 Like