License of system icons / can we reuse them?

I’d like to reuse and adapt some system icons in my projects. I assume they are proprietary but there is the “icon template” and the “icon library” (for launcher app icons) which is licensed CC-BY-3.0:

System icon reference:

Does someone know if there has been a similar question before? Was there a decision by Jolla?

If not, I think it would make sense to propose this in a community meeting. We could ask Jolla to release the system icons under a license like CC-BY-xx, together with vector (SVG) sources for best reusability.

If there is interest I would be happy if someone could ask this in the next meeting (May 6, 2021). I can’t make it on Thursdays, sadly.

edit: found a working link to the app icon library

7 Likes

I’ll put it in my Calendar but can’t 100% commit. We’re stuck with alternating Homeschooling here (Brandenburg, assailing Berlin) and it’s a bit dicey. But, I’ll try. I would then in the days before register the community ‘assault’ …

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s great! You can copy/extend this if you see that you can make it:

- Name / IRC nick:
- topic: Reusing Sailfish icons 
- some details about the topic: Apps often need very specific icons that are not readily available from the system (although the existing collection is pretty great). Most could easily be created by building on existing icons, though. For launcher icons, there is the "icon template" and "icon library" under CC-BY-3.0 (https://sailfishos.org/design/icons/). Can Jolla please consider releasing the other icons in a reusable fashion too (say, CC-BY-xx together with vector (SVG) sources for best reusability)? This would make *beautifully integrated* app development and design much easier.
- approx. time needed: 10m
- optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute)
1 Like

Oops. Just realized that you had already done the snooping that could be done. Sigh.

1 Like

Thank you for bringing it to the meeting! :slight_smile:

It’s a question that is of interest to me as a developer too! Thanks for bringing it up!

The meeting has been held, here’s what has been talked about:

07:17:20 #topic Reusing Sailfish icons (10 min – asked by poetaster)
[…]
07:17:53 #info Apps often need very specific icons that are not readily available from the system (although the existing collection is pretty great). Most could easily be created by building on existing icons, though. For launcher icons, there is (was?) the “icon template” and “icon library” under CC-BY-3.0
07:17:59 #link https://www.jollausers.com/2014/01/sailfish-os-application-icon-story/
07:18:03 #info Can Jolla please consider releasing the other icons in a reusable fashion too (say, CC-BY-xx together with vector (SVG) sources for best reusability)? This would make beautifully integrated app development and design much easier.
07:18:25 is poetaster around in any ethereal shape or form?:slight_smile:
07:19:45 ah they’re also representing ichtyosaurus, neither of them around:)
07:19:49 #link License of system icons / can we reuse them?
07:19:58 here’s the answer
07:19:59 #info Publishing the icons is sensible request, but we need to look licensing of the asset holistically. Making any changes is something we carefully asses and therefore we cannot promise any quick progress.
07:21:44 moving swiftly on:)

https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2021/sailfishos-meeting.2021-05-06-07.00.log.html

1 Like

Thanks for the update! We / I couldn’t make it but there wasn’t anything to discuss anyways. Let’s just hope Jolla comes soon™ to a positive decision :slight_smile: .

Thanks! I had gotten wind of it, but after I did the home schooling stint ! I’m a bit less reliable than i’d like at the moment (!).

since I’m also working on weather stuff at the moment and (and doing Icon editing) I’ll bring this up again in a more specific case.

Also, I believe, one of the apps I’ve taken responsibility for re-distributes Sailfish icons without doing so correctly (and no one has caught it yet? Imageworks, aka harbour-simplecrop) … so it’s on my radar from multiple vectors.

The system icons were never discussed…I want to use the “lock” one in an icon for Sailtrix

2 Likes

Back on my list of todos (in July :slight_smile:

1 Like