Keyboard does not show up in the Phone app's Contacts tab

REPRODUCIBILITY: 42%
BUILD ID = 4.0.1.48
HARDWARE: XA2
UI LANGUAGE: Hungarian
REGRESSION: Yes

DESCRIPTION:

In the phone app after a certain amount of usage (varies) the keyboard does not shown in the Contacts tab. It is very annoying since I used this feature a lot and had no issue with it in the previous releases.
No other apps showing the same behaviour, furthermore the People app (which has the very similar contacts list) works OK.

PRECONDITIONS:

N/A

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

I do not know exact circumstances triggering this issue, it happends randomly, after restarting the lipstick it works again for a period of time.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The keyboard should be visible after placing the cursor to the search field.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

4 Likes

the same on my Jolla C

1 Like

Same for me. Sony Xperia 10 Dual SIM. 4.0.1.48 (Koli)

UPD: I found that the keyboard isn’t shown when I start in the Phone app and than go to Contacts tab or try to add new Contact from the list of calls.

3 Likes

I found that the keyboard isn’t shown when I start in the Phone app and than go to Contacts tab or try to add new Contact from the list of calls.

Okay, but does it happen always in your case? In my case it does not, and I cannot figure out what circumstances triggering the disappearing of the keyboard.

Not always, actually. Now it’s ok after reboot. I’ll try to figure out the conditions.

The Same here. No keyboard in the Phone app and in the contacts tab.

Hardware: XA2 Dual SIM, UI language: German
Build: 4.0.1.48

Reboot fixed the problem temporary.

FYI: in the Settings -> Other tools -> Restart home screen fixes it and it might be faster option.

1 Like

confirm - have same bug on XA2 4.0.1.48

Is it only the Search Field of the People tab of the Phone app which has this issue, or does the VKB also fail to pop up for other input fields in other areas of the Phone app?

Wondering whether this is a “focus” flag getting stuck for that particular input element, or a broader issue with input handling in the application.

Is it only the Search Field of the People tab of the Phone app which has this issue, or does the VKB also fail to pop up for other input fields in other areas of the Phone app?

I will check this out if it will occour next time. I have to note that I have only observed this behaviour in the Phone app yet.

Is the focus saved between application starts?
Because this issue cannot be solved by restarting the Phone app, only by restarting lipstick.

Focus should definitely not be saved between application starts, but the Phone app is probably not closed when you think it is (see the lifetime of the voicecall-ui-prestart etc processes). Another possibility is that something is getting stuck on maliit side, but then I would expect to see issues in other applications also, so my feeling is that this is more likely to be a focus issue in the Phone app itself.

It seems we have an internal bug report to track a similar issue already: JB#53997. It may be some startup timing issue between when voicecall-ui starts and when maliit is ready to accept connections, perhaps. Restarting voicecall-ui with systemctl-user restart voicecall-ui-prestart seems to get the keyboard working in some cases, which suggests that it’s some timing issue related to when the voicecall-ui process is started.

You an also check your journal to see if it contains entries like:
WARNING: An inactive plugin is misbehaving - tried to show a window!
WARNING: requestActivate() called for QQuickView(0x8a3cae0) which has Qt::WindowDoesNotAcceptFocus set

Hey @chris.adams

My device is currently producing the issue. May I ask you to describe how to check the logs? Shall I grep for the journalctrl output?

Here is a part of log found in the journal when starting the misbehaving Phone app and putting the focus to the search field:

[root@XperiaXA2 nemo]# journalctl | grep -A 10 -B 3 -i requestActivate
ápr 28 21:01:18 XperiaXA2 lipstick[4555]: [D] onCompleted:264 - coverActionIndicators created
ápr 28 21:01:18 XperiaXA2 mce[2161]: modules/proximity.c: mp_datapipe_set_proximity_sensor_actual(): state: OPEN -> UNDEF
ápr 28 21:01:18 XperiaXA2 invoker[5918]: WARNING: An inactive plugin is misbehaving - tried to show a window!
ápr 28 21:01:18 XperiaXA2 invoker[5918]: WARNING: requestActivate() called for QQuickView(0x8e3e8) which has Qt::WindowDoesNotAcceptFocus set.
ápr 28 21:01:20 XperiaXA2 voicecall-ui[5445]: [D] highlightSymbolIndex:54 - Can’t find symbol A at index: 0
ápr 28 21:01:24 XperiaXA2 mce[2161]: powerkey.c: pwrkey_datapipe_keypress_event_cb(): powerkey pressed
ápr 28 21:01:24 XperiaXA2 mce[2161]: powerkey.c: pwrkey_datapipe_keypress_event_cb(): powerkey released
ápr 28 21:01:25 XperiaXA2 mce[2161]: modules/proximity.c: mp_datapipe_set_proximity_sensor_actual(): state: UNDEF -> OPEN
ápr 28 21:01:25 XperiaXA2 mce[2161]: modules/display.c: mdy_display_state_leave(): current display state = POWER_DOWN
ápr 28 21:01:25 XperiaXA2 sensorfwd[3104]: virtual bool HybrisAdaptor::setInterval(unsigned int, int) setInterval not ok
ápr 28 21:01:25 XperiaXA2 lipstick[4555]: [D] unknown:0 - sleepDisplay
ápr 28 21:01:25 XperiaXA2 kernel: [synaptics][info] synaptics_rmi4_suspend: synaptics suspend +++
ápr 28 21:01:25 XperiaXA2 kernel: [synaptics][info] synaptics_rmi4_suspend: synaptics suspend —
ápr 28 21:01:25 XperiaXA2 kernel: mdss_dsi_panel_off: ctrl=ffffffd9311da018 ndx=0

Same XA2, english kbd.

Started on 4.0.1.48.
Still here on 4.1.0.23

Dah, I was not dare enough to upgrade the 4.1 yet but I had high hopes for the fixing of this.

My Xperia 10 Plus running 4.0.1 did not have this issue (?didn’t happen to notice?), but my new Xperia 10ii with 4.1.0.24 does have it.
(Problem only when trying to search contacts through Phone->Contacts tab. Search works just fine when using the People app)
Confirming the error log from @martonmiklos

1 Like

Same issue here on Xperia 10 ii dual, 4.1.0.24.

For me it happens always when Phone app is started from the app grid, works in People app and works if voicecall-ui is launched from terminal. Weirdly enough when launching from terminal it cannot load SIM card contacts. If you think it’s relevant (and someone tells me how to copy text from terminal app) I can provide logs.