Jolla urgently looking for new ownership

Not interested in a subscription, i’m not funding a ‘service’.

I’m buying a ‘product’.

I have bought a licence for every SailfishX device Jolla have supported, despite only using SFOS on an Xperia X and an Xperia XA2 Plus.

I’m looking forward to buying an Xperia 10 III SFOS licence when its released, and I will ugrade my daily driver to an Xperia 10 III this time.

I’m doing my bit, if you need to charge more then fine. But not interested in a service.

8 Likes

Bloatware, yes, but often also other more important modifications specific for that mobile network’s services, like e.g. custom radio/modem firmware for that network’s specific bands/frequencies, and other stuff like that. In case of VoLTE, XA2 with T-Mobile software only supported VoLTE on T-Mobile, with Orange software only on Orange, etc., and I guess it must have been something more than just configuration because I haven’t seen that anyone discovered any method to override this just by copying a few files. Maybe custom modem drivers.

radio modem specific for the home network ?

Then, what is in roaming situations , in foreign countries ? Hasn’t the radio to be strictly standardized to generally work with any network in nearly every country on roaming? (aside from the RF bands that may differ in CEPT region 1, 2 or 3)

Very disappointed to see Jolla trying to follow Apple. “It would be easy to say that you do not want to work for a company with such a significant indirect ownership by the Russian State.” Easy to say indeed.
What I expact as a user or customer of Jolla Sailfish , is not who is the owner but how much YOU can guarantee me with insight in the code and contracts that neither the Russian state nor the EU rulers has insight in my every communication and spy on my emotions which they will steer to make such statements in group think.
Please just do your job without the ideology and be more pragmatic. If EU makes that impossible by forwarding this demand to “say the easy thing everybody says” ,then demand from them the solution. Present the case for “critical and strategical software”. Think why Europe doesn’t want that? Why Europe can’t have that? Why Russia did see something in it?

These mobile OS-es are the source of a lot of misery world wide. Health problem, crowd control, anxiousness. We need one to be pragmatic, create something good to use and uplifting without the built in ideologies to stumble over in the road ahead.

" I have Jolla’s interests at heart and not those of Jolla’s owners." ->> and what about the interests of the users in Europe and Russia that want a reliable and privacy oriented mobile OS that doesn’t shut down services or jeopardize half a life’s work based on one or the other political opinion of the day?
Again, I’d think if Europe wants you to virtue signal, then Europe could and should fund Jolla / Sailfish as the next OS for Europeans and make the world desire this technology including Russia, you can then decide if they can have it or not. Question now is who is stopping you from doing that? Rus owner or EU politics or personal ideology?
The mistake of letting Nokia go down and leave us with this duopoly cheering “good agressive business practices” can always be overruled by an even more tragic error.
Hope for the best and peace and common sense to return soon.

8 Likes

I would say maybe something from Mondragon model of cooperative structure, with maybe some seats being elected by the community cooperative members like ourselves. Could do as a mix worker/community cooperative with potential for dividends down the road.

I doubt that it was just a “mistake”. I’m afraid that much bigger forces were behind it, restricting the number of global mobile operating systems to just two (and both of them US-based) for the sake of easier and cheaper surveillance, “anti-terrorist control” and things like that. There couldn’t be just one OS because it would be a monopoly which is “bad”, so two was the way to go. Any additional popular mobile OS beyond that would mean a lot of money, man power etc. needed for having in it the same surveillance/control abilities as in those two. That’s why there was no place for BlackBerry, either.

4 Likes

Each phone model supports quite a number of bands, not all of them but enough to support at least one or more bands of virtually any given network. For instance, my BlackBerry Passport supported UMTS bands 1,2,4,5,6,8 and LTE bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,13,17,20. Which certainly wasn’t all there is, but more than enough to work in every network I ever tried it with.

As for VoLTE, in case of XA2 we’re talking about an older device model, actually from the beginnings of VoLTE support. That’s why the situation looked so. Newer phone models, like e.g. the X10 II, support VoLTE out of the box and accross all operators. The XA2 could certainly be upgraded to such state, too, if only Sony wanted to. But it’s been EOL’d long ago, so it is like it is.

2 Likes

We don’t know which potential customers/owners Sami is talking about (aside from Daimler) but I’m guessing this won’t cut it.

1 Like

@David

Recently I read that wearable devices (ex. watches) business grows every year, and it is more than a billion Euro market. You guys are in Finland which also there are Suunto and Polar. What about to cooperate / contact them for the ownership? Some years ago you made that prototype: Case study: Sailfish Watch | Jolla Blog .

Both Suunto and Polar made models with wearOS (android based). Also, the (much bigger) garmin, uses it’s own “app store” and sdk for development. You could make a “sailfish” version for watches (you already have a prototype) and a harbour for wearables for them.

Most of the solutions that garmin, apple, android etc give for fitness tracking data goes through their platforms, and makes it hard to try to keep it locally or process the data by your own/ on the platform of your choice.

Thank you for the chance you gave to community members to express their thoughts. I wish you all the best for the future of Jolla and sailfish!

5 Likes

I was going to ask about this in one community meeting, since both Suunto and Polar would highly benefit from having differentiator in the Smartwatch space. Especially when both of them are kinda facing problems with the software side of their watches.

It was a shame that the LG watch did not work in the Saiflish 10 year party. I was actually really looking forward of testing how it would feel.

In general Sailfish could still have a real opening here. However, I think it would require initiative from Jolla’s side which does not raise very high hopes for it being a thing.

2 Likes

Jolla announces resignation of Board Members

Jolla announces the resignation of Alexander Ayvazov and Alexander Kolesnikov, Rostelecom representatives at the Board of Directors, effective immediately

16 Likes

Does this mean Jolla is also in the business of virtue-signaling and discriminating against people due to their nationalities?

3 Likes

Rostelecom is largely state owned.
I guess it may not be the best advertisement for a company that claims to provide a privacy focused alternative OS to be associated with the Russian government.
Nothing to do with virtue signalling or Russians slaughtering Ukrainian children I think.

9 Likes

Jolla is especially in the business of being permanently criticised for any move they make.

22 Likes

Yesterday were the nazi germans, today are the russians, tomorrow maybe the arabs, and in the near future maybe YOU/ME/US!

3 Likes

As long as we don’t find firing 125mm HE point blank into unarmed civilians entertaining, we should be relatively safe I think.

8 Likes

At least this is something, thank you for the message. But what implication does it have and how many Board Members are still left? What about finances? Legal ownership means that they have a say in the policy of Jolla, about it’s near future. What about the search for other owners? We understand this is a confusing time and we hope Jolla will find a way out of this.

1 Like

No thank you, I will never play this game.

1 Like

Remember: all of us are interested in the future of Jolla. That’s why many are posting here.

4 Likes

For your question about board members, here is a slightly older list: Request for information about Jolla board of directors, execs and ownership - #2 by Jolla

You just need to remove 2 people there, I guess?

2 Likes