Jolla urgently looking for new ownership

Yesterday were the nazi germans, today are the russians, tomorrow maybe the arabs, and in the near future maybe YOU/ME/US!

3 Likes

As long as we don’t find firing 125mm HE point blank into unarmed civilians entertaining, we should be relatively safe I think.

8 Likes

At least this is something, thank you for the message. But what implication does it have and how many Board Members are still left? What about finances? Legal ownership means that they have a say in the policy of Jolla, about it’s near future. What about the search for other owners? We understand this is a confusing time and we hope Jolla will find a way out of this.

1 Like

No thank you, I will never play this game.

1 Like

Remember: all of us are interested in the future of Jolla. That’s why many are posting here.

4 Likes

For your question about board members, here is a slightly older list: Request for information about Jolla board of directors, execs and ownership - #2 by Jolla

You just need to remove 2 people there, I guess?

2 Likes

As we have stated earlier, Jolla has for some time been looking for a shareholding structure that would provide a balanced ownership structure and significantly reduce Russian ownership. The International Investment Bank has been involved in promoting this arrangement. In the new situation, it is clear that the company has no future without a complete divestment of Russian ownership. The company is still working hard to find an ownership structure that will allow this to happen.

15 Likes

Still, I’d be very curious to know how many users would be interested in participation.
Could we make a poll, maybe?

1 Like

Good luck, Jolla team, I hope you will find a way out, i.c. new investors, a new policy! Sailfish is too nice to let go.

12 Likes

I fully agree, and having lost both Nokia and Ericsson - who not that long ago were the two largest mobile technology companies in the world - there’s a desperate need for a European hardware platform as well. We are now far beyond the point where the phones in our pockets became mandatory for participation in society - if we want that society to remain open, democratic and accountable, so must the devices with which we interact with it.

I am currently working in Sweden, which I’ve always regarded as a forward thinking and technologically advanced society with a high computer literacy. But I am continually dismayed, shocked even, to discover how completely they have given up control of essential functions to Google, Microsoft and (to a lesser extent) Apple. Everything from buying bus and train tickets, accessing your bank account, voting, filing tax returns, even giving money to beggars, requires that you own and operate a device running one of their operating systems. I do not, and consequently I am locked out of many basic services. And whenever I ask for help from a representative of these services the answer is always the same: “you can only do that through our app” - said with Orwellian certitude that I too, of course, have an Android device in my pocket.

If I could make one law, it would be that no essential public service should require closed source software to access it. How is it that the Swedish people accept that the only way of authenticating themselves is in the hands of a private company who are accountable only to their shareholders? This is obviously unacceptable today, and will be even more so tomorrow.

35 Likes

The question is if all those three-letter secret services would want to have the third mobile platform that they’d need to separately cover when it comes to surveillance (for the sake of security of us all, of course). I am afraid that this is why those other mobile platforms that we all knew - Symbian, MeeGo, BlackBerry 10, and even Windows Phone - had to let go.

2 Likes

i’m happy if Sailfish OS stays a community project for computer enthusiasts. So we have our peace from several kinds of commercial or observational intrusions.

9 Likes

@cwo +10, thank you.
About laws, there should exist one other: the right to live without smartphone and keep the same rights as others.

About Jolla/freedom/openness/alternatives…
Let’s help! Wouldn’t we make a poll to see if/how many users would become a part, even small, of Jolla?

4 Likes

Just saw this over on the Leste blog:

A couple of months ago we were made aware of the DAPSI project by our dear Michiel of NLnet. DAPSI is one of the projects in the scope of the European Union’s Next Generation Internet initiative and it offers funding for projects that research data portability and privacy solutions to give people better control over their personal data.

Seeing this, we realised that Maemo Leste could be a good fit. We managed to write an application and apply to the open call just before the deadline.

A month or so later, we were contacted by the DAPSI team to tell us that our application passed and that we are going to receive funding for the milestones we chose to apply with!

9 Likes

Corruption often seems the obvious answer

You live in a fairy-tale where countries are ran by representatives and everything is shiny.
Truth is, this is only a facade for people to behave (with some truth to it, but only on the levels that are allowed by a bigger force).
Small countries like Sweden do not and can not conduct their own policy when it concerns bigger questions. So they behave like collective West (i.e. US/5 eyes) tells them. And the West mastered this ability to raise-educate-promote useful people, remove inconvenient people, corrupt and sometimes kill others.

And in no way EU can have their own mobile OS that can threaten ios/android. Best EU can have is toy-OSes like Jolla. Although, I’m pretty sure J has only 2-3 years to live if they change ownership.

4 Likes

States are legalized thug gangs with a monopoly on violence. All they do is theft.

3 Likes

Big ships turn slowly.

1 Like

@DrDweeb, @remote
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity”. :slight_smile:
It is just too convenient not to care or educate oneself.

Did anyone else notice that we went OT?

9 Likes

Yes, exactly, I bounce on this to say something new about the Topic :innocent::
Are there other users than me who would participate in a (tiny) part of Jolly ownership?

7 Likes