What a childish discussion. Really poor characters in my opinion. Yes, people in the business know some numbers on what tooling and other nre costs. I do, too.
But are you really equipped with so much time, that you spend hours of complaining that Jollas sole goal was to increase cashflow by selling us accessories at higher prices?
You complainers seem to forget the scale of this business here and the manpower all this is handled with.
I think it is really rude how some people behave here towards the Jolla team. Why don’t you just get your refund and head off back to some Android device manufacturer where you get your ****** case for a dollar?
I think it’s important to remember there are people out there (like myself) who have to watch their pennies. There may be people who bought the phone to support the company and idea, and perhaps they are really stretching their budget to buy this phone and now they’re having to spend beyond that (more than they planned for) to give it protection.
It is the other way round. People who have to watch their pennies can purchase the base phone and then get screen protectors from 3rd parties for less. There are already options for screen protectors, I would expect there would also pop something up for TPU/silicone covers. Isn’t that preferably to the price all being shifted to the main device, maybe with the cover and screen protector even included?
In any case, if you have to watch out for your pennies, maybe don’t get the newest Jolla phone but settle for either the C2 or maybe the Xperia 10 III. You can get started with Sailfish OS for a fraction of the money and still get a functional phone.
This is understandable.
But how exactly accessories are tied to the device? Did Jolla or any other company promised dirty cheap optional accessories?
When I ordered the phone there was not even a mention about extras or accessories. If anything, not even TOHs.
Stretching a tight budget to 520-770€ when there are much cheaper alternatives, but considering a 30€ optional case as outrageous doesn’t really add up from my perspective.
That is the part that mystifies me as well. The accessory pricing appears to be quite in line with the pricing of the main device. It is also in line with others like Fairphone. And unlike Fairphone, Jolla has to cross-finance a whole mobile OS.
My case and screen protector on my iPhone are 3 years old and I see no reason to replace them but maybe if one buys bottom of the barrel quality from aliexpress things are different, I don’t know.
I never changed a case or a screen protector in my life unless it was actually heavily damaged, so maybe a couple out of the hundreds I’ve had in my life.
I have phones from 15-20 years ago with all their cases and some with a screen protector that was applied day one, while most without any screen protector.
Like back then, most people that complained never bought the subscription and they were never going to buy the subscription.
I’ve already seen a lot of people complain about a lot of J2 related stuff and you can’t change my mind that most of them either never bought the device or refunded the 99€.
J2 went from 499€ to 550, 580, 650, 750 and you barely heard anyone complain. But 20€ for a screen protector is enough to start a revolution?
I’m sorry but I just don’t buy it.
My cases become yellow and hard with age and need replacement for aesthetic reasons.
My glasses break. They’re there for protection. They crack and need to be replaced.
These are inexpensive pieces of hardware from Chinese manufacturers. Their price is in the Euros range, not tens of Euros. These are market prices. I don’t care if it’s branded or not, until it does its job. The prices are not commercially fair. You can tell what you want, they are not. I was expecting 10-15 Euros.
Now, since the price of a commercial battery of that size is about 15€, should I expect 150€ for a replacement battery?
Well, mine don’t break or turn yellow so I would advise you to check quality stuff as well. Maybe they will last you a lifetime.
Battery replacement costs from 40€ to 120€ depending on the brand. If Jolla manages to go lower than that, I would be happy but it looks like you are already preparing to be disappointed with 10-15€ that you have in your mind.
If you spend some time searching to understand the people you are talking to, maybe you wouldn’t come to that conclusion. Maybe the 30 minutes you spent here are not actually enough.
No one defends Jolla here. We are talking about realistic prices in 2026 where gas is almost 2.5€, a fig costs 2€ and a burger costs 15€.
I have changed batteries to all phones I used, except the X10V (for now). I never spent above 20€.
All cases turn yellow. TPU turns yellow. Maybe you aren’t using clear cases.
As for glasses, mine consistently break. I do use the phone and it gets shocks. We have 4 phones and one tablet in active use and all glasses will eventually break. Maybe you don’t really use your devices. If they didn’t, I would not need a case or glass in the first place.
Yes, maybe don’t use clear cases if you mind yellowing. Or buy a new case every year. Your choice but don’t pretend that cases are consumables that need to be changed every year.
Glasses can break but they don’t have to. I have not had a screen, or its protector, break on a phone … ever. I also have never changed the screen protector. As long as it is of proper hardness there are also no scratching issues.
But anyhow, if you prefer to change all of that each year, and you already said, you do so with 3rd party parts. Just do so. All this outrage at Jolla for charging prices for official parts that are in line with what many competitors are doing is still bewildering, especially as you don’t seem to have an issue with a phone being sold for 500-750 EUR with specs you can find in China for 150 EUR. At the same time Linux phone competitors are either in line with Jolla or even above.
Obviously part of the price is to support OS development.
The phone offers extra value for money. Cases and glasses do not.
Of course I will be purchasing Chinese parts if they ever come available, and I am sure, as I always experienced, that they will be the same quality as brand ones, and I would not be surprised at all if they were the exact same parts.
Anyway, I have always used clear cases since I prefer them, I mind yellowing, and I have always replaced them for 2-3 Euros. I feel entitled to complain if this is becoming a problem.
There are already 3rd party screen protectors out there.
No one is forcing you to buy any of that. You can feel entitled if you want to but the fact is that Jolla is charging high but absolutely not unusual prices for official cases. Even Samsung has an official price tag of 30 EUR for a clear S26 case, even if you can easily find it at reduced price at 20 EUR or so. Clear simple TPU cases from Spigen, a respectable 3rd party brand for this kind of things, can be found in Europe for 12-17 EUR from European shops (that actually have to care about compliance).
Depends on what you mean. Playing with phones all day? No, I am not a child so I have a job, family and hobbies (or at least trying to keep having hobbies at this point).
Carrying them around with me? Then yes, 2 of them every day.
I am sorry. I did not follow your complete train of thoughts. Aren’t you that engineer from the industry? Are you still considering producing cases and protectors?
You might save a lot yourself and help the others on a tight budget.