Jolla Mediaplayer: Stuttering Internetradio

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100% (always)
OSVERSION: 4.5.0.19
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact - h8314 - h8314 - 0.5.0.1 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: Deutsch (user: de_DE, os: de_DE.utf8)
REGRESSION: not specified

DESCRIPTION:

When streaming Webradios with Jolla Mediaplayer the Sound stuttering often

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open Mediaplayer
  2. Select any Internetradio
  3. Experience often Stuttering Sound

EXPECTED RESULTS:

No stuttering Audiostreams

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Stuttering Sounds

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: yes
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: none specified

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Also happen for me on XA2 and X Compact with almost every Audiostream on every Connection (4g, Fiber 400MBIT…etc).

Maybe increase the replay buffering?
Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: not supported

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.9+git4
5 Likes

I reported this back in the days of Jolla1, it has never been mentioned since.

Still happens on Xperia 10 ii with latest OS and the all the versions before it.

The odd thing is, the same radio station played from the authors website streams without problem but not in Jolla Mediaplayer. I built a car dashboard app which include an audio player, initially just to get it working, I chose to use a radio station, it takes at least 20 seconds of stuttering before the stream smooths out.

1 Like

I experinced this problem since beginning of using the App. Sometimes the stuttering is more less sometimes its more. For me it sounds like they have a too small Prebuffering of the Audiostream, so that its often running out of the buffer until the next Data-Chaunk arrives.

The Deadbeef-Silica-Player App under Sailfish has a rock solid Streaming, so it can´t be the Radio-Station, the Connection or the Smartphone-Hardware. Something is messy in the Webstreaming-Code in that Mediaplayer-App.

I´d like to use the Jolla Mediaplayer as standalone-driver but this bug prevents its every situation usage.

4 Likes

I can confirm fingus’ report 100%.

It has been bothering me ever since I started using SFOS, but since e.g. deadbeef works better in that respect - well, thanks for filing it as a bug report.

I can add:

• I can not define a point when it “smoothes out”. Sometimes it stutters more, sometimes less.
  • In addition to other players being better with this (even the browser), I sometimes also use the same internet connection on other devices and never experience such severe problems.
  • doesn’t matter whether it’s Wlan or mobile broadband
  • doesn’t matter whether it’s a high or low quality stream (between 32 and 320kbps)

I solve the problem relatively easily. I start the stream, wait until the sound comes and then start the stream again. After that it runs without stuttering

Duplicate of Jolla-mediaplayer choppy playback while streaming

1 Like

I test it some minutes and it seem to work :+1:

Edit: Sadly this “fix” just works sometimes but never aways

True but never seems to be filed.

Closing as a duplicate of Jolla-mediaplayer choppy playback while streaming

1 Like