Jolla Love Day 2

From the specs, the Mind2 is just an OrangePI with a fancy case.
It all depends on what the software will actually be capable of.

3 Likes

Ah, so the Reeder device does not support a microSD card? That’s a bummer.

2 Likes

According to other sources, it does provide a microSD slot: https://www.imei.info/phonedatabase/reeder-s19-max-pro-s/

4 Likes

The comparison info I posted seems to be missing stuff; bands, dimensions, etc.

2 Likes

Which other periods weren’t such? Can’t recall :slight_smile:

I am only saying that it is a poor excuse that in order to support Jolla it really takes that troublesome subscription model. I am saying that since they have their own store, they might have had (for a loooong time) a multitude of things enabling people to financially support them, including a “support item” to buy in Jolla shop (why not also with a recurring monthly payment option, should they see it better than a one-time support). Or some paid application(s) in Jolla app store, or whatever else.

But why all this mess and hassle if they could simply keep (even just as an additional option) a one-time upfront licence purchase like it has always been, “perpetual” as they call it for what they now call LEGACY devices. Maybe even priced less attractively in order to encourage people to use the subscription model instead, but ENCOURAGE rather than FORCE. They surely know that subscriptions are not acceptable to quite some of their customers, as it was clearly stated by many people in the thread on this forum where Jolla were asking about it.

Time will show if they really do. I’ve seen many people saying that they won’t switch to subscription and e.g. stick to the 10 III for another year or two instead, especially that the 10 IV / V actually brings almost nothing new in terms of performance or features.

Exactly. Not really worth the hassle until the 10 III remains supported, i.e. a few more years.

OK, but if indeed it is allowed so, what kind of benefit does it REALLY mean to Jolla from those who only pay once in order to get AppSupport and then stop paying? Earning €5 instead of €49.99?

I can’t recall any period of time in their history when they weren’t in struggle. But if they REALLY needed financial support from customers, why didn’t they EVER simply offer something as easy as a let’s call it “Support Jolla” item in their online shop that one could buy (or even subscribe to in order to provide recurring monthly support) in order to support them? Please don’t tell me that it wasn’t deadly easy and couldn’t have been done ANYTIME at NO COST. So no, I don’t buy those poor excuses that monthly subscriptions are the only way to get support.

One of many possible ways to do it.

No, it isn’t There are (and there have always been) other ways for Jolla to obtain financial support from people, but surprisingly they never bothered. So, quite possibly, they never really needed it.

That’s it. Or they might have been selling in their own store a digital “Support Jolla” product, even with a subscription option, i.e. automatic recurring payments.

Time will show if monthly subscription (that one can cancel anytime) turns out to be more stable than simply getting an entire amount upfront, that one won’t then withdraw.

That’s why instead of donations you can simply sell a digital product instead, e.g. a JPEG picture saying “Thank you for being with us, sailor!”. Or literally anything else, e.g. Jolla’s CEO autograph.

2 Likes

What an awesome Love Day 2 you made together with us! Thank you all!

We’ll be going through the discussions & questions here and from the other related threads in the forum ([Release notes] Sauna 4.6.0.11 & Jolla Community Phone Q/A & etc). There are plenty to go through.

Please give us a bit time and we’ll come back with a Q&A.

18 Likes

Exactly, 18cm is too big. I’ll go with Sony.

1 Like

You do realize the basis for my hypothesis is hassle-minimization?
That type of solution basically comes free implementation-wise.
(Set up recurring payments - hook in to renewing the “licensed” flag in the database, and that’s it pretty much - everything else is there).

If you look through the comments, you’ll see me already having suggested a 12-for-10 full year rebate scheme.

If users have to choose between updating and keeping aging paid components (provided interesting and frequent enough updates) i’d say the incentive to be subscribed is pretty decent. Not to mention it is a good cause.

I always prefer to have a choice over not having a choice, especially if the only option available (as now with subscription model) is what I do not like or accept. I think I might swallow a yearly subscription (not automatic, just paying once a year, a notification from the OS about upcoming expiration would be helpful in such case) but that’s about it. I would very much like Jolla to keep (even just as an additional, secondary option) the possibility to just pay once upfront, either for a “perpetual” licence or for a fixed period of time, e.g. one or two years. Support for one-time licence purchase has been implemented and used since the introduction of the Sailfish X, so there’s nothing that might involve any additional cost or labour to keep it still available as an option.

That’s all, I am not trying to incite a war or something, not bashing Jolla, just raising my concerns and voting my opinion on those changes. I think it is the right place to do it. As I can see, there are other people who are also dissatisfied with those changes and not willing to pay monthly subscriptions - I am not sure how many of them there are but I’d assume it may turn out to be some 10% or maybe 20% of the current users. So maybe it’d be worth for Jolla to give them a choice, even just in form of a gratitude for having been their customers since over a decade. That’s all.

2 Likes

You are correct nobody made the topic big

1 Like

Well they did when they start to shoot on curds and claimes it is all pkk

But we are off topic

1 Like

Thanks for this nice Jolla Love Day 2, I really enjoyed the presentation and I like the huge progress you made the last months after the restructuring dust has settled.

7 Likes

Well it is possible, Sam answered that question yesterday.
I don’t have access to their numbers or their KPIs, so I can’t answer that question.
If I have to do some random guessing I could say that it’s much easier for anyone to support whenever they want this way and also get some benefits (maybe they see that many people don’t update for example).
Maybe they are planning to also make app support available for community (or some community ports). Much easier to convert people with 5€ than 50€.

I can think and assume many more reasons, but what’s the point? We already know that you can keep your licensed stuff without perpetual active subscription.
The rest we can wait for jolla to clarify.

For me (and for a dozen or two of people I’ve seen on this forum saying that they’re against such subscription model) it isn’t, so it’s certainly not for anyone.

And much easier to regularly increase the fee because of inflation, Putin, global warming and “Jolla still struggling to survive” (as always). Let’s see if it becomes just 6€ or maybe 8€ next summer.

Right, so what’s the point? (if it is at all true) and why not additionally keep an option to pay once upfront? To get from a person like me (and others not accepting monthly subscriptions) only 5€ instead of 50€?

If so then OK, case closed.

2 Likes

Hello, just saying that I ordered the C2 voucher, I bought the original Jolla (three in fact), a C1 and even the Intex. The latter were much cheaper, I think 80 EUR or so but to get get Sailfish on my old XA2 I wasted so much time with silly USB cables, I’m happy to pay the difference if it just works out of the box.

Also happy to pay a yearly subscription if it keeps Jolla running. Right now my main phone is Android as my XA2 died and I’d still pay them …

When Jolla offers an XPeria 10 VI with Sailfish 5.1 pre-installed I’d happily pay 100 EUR plus compared to shop bought Android for Sailfish.

2 Likes

There is no such thing as yearly subscription.

1 Like

I suggest you write down everything you want to know since you have a lot of questions.
Looks like we will have a Q&A? Or maybe we can ask for one to get some answers!

Not really a lot but actually just one: whether they intend to rethink keeping optional one-time licence purchase for the new models. That’s actually all I would like to know. Today I called the supplier and delayed the 10 V shipment date until May 31, so that I still have 9 days to possibly cancel it. Let’s see if we can know something more for sure until then.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Image every person on earth buys a phone each year or each two years during a lifetime from age 12 to age 60. How many phones would that be?
It’s madness of course, such waste.
Won’t say that Apple is ‘green’, not at all, but my daughters still use an iphone 6s and those are still getting updated.
An option would have been a Jolla 2 build like Jolla 1: removable back, removable battery.
Or a Gigaset with replaceable battery, a Rephone or Fairphone.

1 Like