Jolla-email search functionality is _very_ limited and could be enhanced

REPRODUCIBILITY: always
OS VERSION: all
HARDWARE: all
UI LANGUAGE: all
REGRESSION: no

DESCRIPTION:

The search function from the top pulley menu is not described very well and offers hardly any options except for entering a search string.
The search seems to be always the same and independent of the context/folder one is currently in.

PRECONDITIONS:

an email account with IMAP access and several folders and many emails

the wish to find i.e. an email with a certain subject in only one folder
or the wish to find an email “From” someone, in one or all folders

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. search your mails in the “INBOX”
  2. search your mails in the “SPAM”
  3. search your mails in “Sent”

EXPECTED RESULT:

I would expect search results from the folder i am currently in to avoid false findings from other folders.

I would expect to say somewhere which header field(s) i actually want to match, to avoid false findings.

ACTUAL RESULT:

I always get very many false findings from other folders and header fields i was never looking for.

MODIFICATIONS:

NONE

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I heavily use email and am subscribed to mailing lists, so the volume of not-too-personal email is high and so is the need to filter out such folders in the search.

Also i keep all sorts of travel documents in an email folder. Say i look in my travel folder for “lufthansa” instead of finding my ticket right away, i will get the last-minute check in spam from the inbox … in which i did not search.

It would be nice to have something like “search only in the folder”, which would already help me a lot.
In addition an “advanced search” where one could select headers to match would be nice.

4 Likes

This looks more like a feature request than a bug report. Category changed.

To me it seems kind of both, the searching in a folder actually searching outside could be considered a bug. While an advanced search would be a new feature.

But hey i mixed two things into one report, so fair enough. Hope that is not going to be the “we never look into it backlog”. The folder search would be important enough for me to try and implement it myself, but that part does not seem to be OSS. And while the implementation might not be too hard, setting up a dev env might be involved.

So i will wait and hope someone will pick it up eventually.

1 Like