Jolla 1 with SailfishOS 2 questions

Hi everyone! Won the amazing Jolla 1 from eBay for just 23 EUR, great deal. It came with spare batteries, standard white The Other Half and a very early 2.0 SFOS version. Really a blast from the past!

Have little intention of updating it though, as I understand, there are no publicly available images of SFOS for Jolla 1, so downgrade will not be possible if newer OS suddenly performs worse.

Anyone knows how 2.0 compares to 3.4 performance wise? Because I actually surprised with Jolla 1 performance, scrolling here is much better than what we have with Sailfish X. Everywhere in the system, in browser (on websites that can still be opened) Jolla 1 easily outperforms even Xperia 10 III when it comes to scrolling fluidity!

But the big question is: can I dismiss ā€˜update availableā€™ message?

Also, if I understand correctly, it supports only android 4.1 applications, therefore up-to-date F-Droid doesnā€™t work anymore. Can F-Droid be fixed or should I search other .apk sources?

Thanks!

3 Likes

I read somewhere that here is Fdroid for devices under 4.4ā€¦

Hmmm

Gdroidā€¦
https://f-droid.org/repo/org.gdroid.gdroid_10004.apk

It works android 4.0

The app itself works, but says that canā€™t establish connection. So canā€™t find any apps

Have little intention of updating it though, as I understand, there are no publicly available images of SFOS for Jolla 1, so downgrade will not be possible if newer OS suddenly performs worse.

As far as I recall, you should be able to factory reset the J1 to itā€™s initial version (in my case some SFOS 1.x) and upgrade and upgrade and upgrade and upgrade [ā€¦] till your desired version of SFOS. I think that is what I did with my J1 several times.

6 Likes

The browser on my J1 scrolls very smoothly with the latest available OS version. On the other hand, so does it on my 10III - Iā€™m not seeing such a difference in the native browser.

1 Like

Exactly! To ease this process of consecutively installing all stop releases on the way to your desired SailfishOS release, I once wrote sfos-upgrade.

But I can assure you that newer releases of SailfishOS are rather faster than slower. I would advise to upgrade to at least the last release of SailfishOS 2 (i.e. 2.2.1) or the last release of SailfishOS 3 (i.e. 3.4.0, which is the final release supporting the Jolla 1 phone, any way). SailfishOS 2.2.1 still presents you the full beauty of the original UI and you can still make almost all things work on it today.

AlienDalvik (aka ā€œAndroid AppSupport (AAS)ā€) for the Jolla 1 is based on AOSP 4.1.2, hence you must install an older version of the F-Droid client app, which still supports Android 4.1.2, or resort to G-Droid (as already suggested) with its very limited feature set.

P.S.: I should have an F-Droid client app APK around which installs and runs fine on Android 4.1.2; IIRC v0.103, rsp. the last version which still provides the classic look (which the F-Droid classic app revived, but that requires Android ā‰„ 4.4.0).

4 Likes

SailfishOS 2.2.1 still presents you the full beauty of the original UI and you can still make almost all things work on it today.

I think I will have to take one of my J1s out of the drawer and have a look how good I can make it work.

1 Like

Unfortunately Iā€™ll expect 2 problems :

1. the very outdated browser
  2. the bad working sync with nextcloud

But Iā€™m loving the GUI. Itā€™s almost perfect consistent and you can use the phone with one hand.

Do you mean factory reset from Settings? It is not the case. I just updated to SFOS 2.2 and factory reset gives me 2.2 (with all my data and settings deleted but third party apps still in place). What factory reset do you mean?

Do you mean factory reset in recovery mode? Like here https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204709607-Jolla-Phone-How-to-use-Recovery-Mode ?
I am not sure I should do this, because I have no ā€œdevicelock codeā€ that will be needed during the process:

The one in the recovery mode. If you donā€™t have device lock code set up, I would try first just pressing enter (for empty password), and if it doesnā€™t work, continue with something like 0000 etc.

Well, the last version of Firefox Mobile which runs on Android 4.1.2 works in many cases and is way better than the (SailfishOS) ā€œBrowserā€. Still, GitHub, GitLab etc. do not work any longer, but with Browser many websites did not work, when SailfishOS 2.2.1 was new.

P.S.: I will try to remember to look up the appropriate Firefox Mobile and F-Droid client appsā€™ version numbers.

1 Like

Devicelock code is the one you use to unlock your phone during bootup. If you donā€™t have it set, then IIRC recovery doesnā€™t ask for it. If you want to be sure, you can reset it in the settings.

Not to be rude, but just to be sure, are you telling you donā€™t have your devicelock code, you cannot enter your phone and therefore you are reinstalling the OS?

Now that I try to remember, I think you are right!

@Bohdan already said in his latest message that he had restored the defaults from the Settings so I think it is safe to assume he has full access to the OS.

I successfully restored my Jolla 1 in recovery mode :blush:
Thanks everyone!

The reason why I didnā€™t want to proceed is this hysterical youtube video.
Of course I understood that nothing wrong should happen as long as I know my password / have no password at all, still I asked the community just in case.

Answering my original question, I found that SFOS 2.2 performs much better than 3.4 (in terms ofā€¦ umā€¦ overall perceptible smoothness. Yes, this is very subjective), so I glad that I can choose.

I also couldnā€™t activate developer mode on SFOS 2.2 (stuck on ā€œmaking preparationsā€ screen), so I did a reset again and activated developer mode on SFOS 2.0, then updated the device. It is crucial to have Terminal, considering that old version of Storeman is no longer able to connect to openrepos.net

2 Likes

These are the last releases which run on Android 4.1.2 (API level 16):

• F-Droid client app 1.12.1
    F-Droid client app 0.102.3 was the last version with the original, clean GUI, but that does not support the ā€œnewā€ index format, hence I gave up using it.
  • Firefox mobile 68.0.2 (later 68.x.y releases should also work)
  • Fennec F-Droid (a recompiled Firefox mobile, available at F-Droid) 68.12.0

This is not true, Storeman 0.0.18 from the Storeman-legacy page at OpenRepos works fine (tested on SailfishOS 2.2.1) when the CA certificates are updated and the OpenSSL 1.1.1+1.0.2 combi package is installed.

1 Like

This is not true, Storeman 0.0.18 from the Storeman-legacy page at OpenRepos works fine (tested on SailfishOS 2.2.1) when the CA certificates are updated and the OpenSSL 1.1.1+1.0.2 combi package is installed.

Wow, thank you! I tried Storeman 0.1.8 before (unsuccessfully), but I had no idea I can make it work on SFOS 2.2. Thank you for help! :slightly_smiling_face:

One question left with SFOS 2.2 on Jolla 1 is date&time issue. I believe itā€™s not connected to updated CA certificates and OpenSSL package that I installed, but hours is out of sync for some reason now. It is 3 hours earlier than it should, so I enter correct date, but when I reboot the clock is reset again.

So I tried to set time as root
date {mmddhhmiyyyy.ss}
and disabled automatic time configuration, but it still go back three hours after reboot. Timezone and date are right, but not hours

Nah I think thatā€™s an ancient and long-standing bug with the timezone sticking to Finland.

IIRC it was a permission issue on some config file.

Edit: this, and
the linked, among other bug reports:

1 Like

It could be, although I set time manually, not automatically. Besides, Iā€™m in Kyiv, which means that Iā€™m in the same time zone as Helsinki :slight_smile:

If ā€œ[Bug] Time zone changes to Finland, Helsinki when enabling "Automatic update" while no SIM card is inserted - together.jolla.comā€ did not help you, maybe ā€œFactory reset, several upgrades->3.2.0 : Timezone issues [solution] - together.jolla.comā€ does?

1 Like