Jolla 1 bricked on update to Rokua

I get the following error from the command line:
ssu re 3.3.0.16
ssu: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: file too short

pkcon refresh, too, fails:

pkcon refresh
Failed to contact PackageKit: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop

Any ideas on how to restore shared libraries?

The following is part output from journalctl -xe:

– Unit packagekit.service has begun starting up.
Jul 27 11:58:41 Sailfish packagekitd[3045]: /usr/libexec/packagekitd: error while loading shared libraries: /
usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: file too short
Jul 27 11:58:41 Sailfish systemd[1]: packagekit.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n
/a
Jul 27 11:58:42 Sailfish systemd[1]: Failed to start PackageKit Daemon.
– Subject: Unit packagekit.service has failed
– Defined-By: systemd
– Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel

– Unit packagekit.service has failed.

libstdc++.so.6.0.25 was indeed truncated. I copied over the file from an XA2, and Jolla 1 is now up and about (Jolla 1 never ran :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know.

What I do not get:

• was the Jolla 1 ‘bricked’ after the update try?
  • why did you try to use ‘ssu re V.V.V.V’ then?
  • and was really the lib file itself truncated (zero length)?

I would do now another ‘version --dup’ manually, if ‘ssu re’ states 3.3.0.16.

1 Like
  • The “bricking” was the display server not coming up, perhaps.

• I tried a bunch of commands, but posted only one which threw the “shared lib too short” error.

• Yes, the lib file was zero length.

Ok, I will try version --dup. Though, I had checked the “About product” in settings and the build was 3.3.0.16.

Yes, even when About dialog and ssu re tell you the correct version you are expecting, there may be some packages not correctly updated or missing.
So doing a version --duo is a good idea in such case
(I do it always twice after an update: once with openrepos repositories disabled and once more with them enabled afterwards).

You were right! There were quite many packages that needed updating. Never knew enough to do “version --dup” before. Thanks!

1 Like

sfos-upgrade (https://openrepos.net/content/olf/sfos-upgrade) does the job, including disabling patches and pkcon refresh+update. Read the instructions carefully.

2 Likes

Yes!
Would have proposed this now also :slight_smile:

Very handy tool. Thanks for this, too!