Issues with virtual machine after switch to M1 Mac

Hi!

I recently migrated to a new laptop with an Apple M1 processor. I also switched from macOS 11 to 12 with this change. Now I am not able to work on my projects anymore because neither the Build Engine nor the VirtualBox will start. My first idea was to reinstall everything but I am not able to uninstall. Here is the error.

VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine ‘Sailfish SDK Build Engine’ has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

sfdk.vms: [W] Process “/usr/local/bin/VBoxManage” exited with unexpected exit code 1 . Arguments: (“startvm”, “Sailfish SDK Build Engine”, “–type”, “headless”)

sfdk.lib: [W] VmConnection: “Failed to start virtual machine “Sailfish SDK Build Engine””

Can someone tell me how to fix the build engine or how to uninstall?

Does this help?

Related: SDK ARM64 on Apple M1

If I read this correctly. Developing SFOS apps on macOS with M1 is not possible at the moment because there is no suitable SDK?
To bad =(

Yeah, kinda weird people are buying arm laptops not realizing some software is not going to work, at least microsoft was clear about that in their windows arm attempt

1 Like

… or buying arm phones to put aarch64 SFOS on them … :smiley:

I expected not all apps to work but I did not check for this. I am not a programmer by training and did not expect that the processor of the programming system has something to do with the SDK. As I said not familiar with these topics…

Well, I guess QtCreator (the IDE) is going to work. For building you can switch to one of the alternative build engines, such as OBS, gitlab/github actions/runners, local docker.

1 Like

Aside from the naming aarch64 (or arm64) is backwards compatible with arm(32) (like few 32bit sfos releases on 64bit chips), just like x64 was to x86, no idea what marketing apple is using but obviously their emulation of x86 isn’t fully working