REPRODUCIBILITY 100%
BUILD ID: Rokua / 3.3.0.16
HARDWARE: Xperia X
UI LANGUAGE: -
REGRESSION: don’t know

DESCRIPTION:

Installing zsh via pkcon fails:

root@Sailfish:/home/nemo> pkcon refresh
Refreshing cache                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Refreshing software list                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Finished                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
root@Sailfish:/home/nemo> pkcon install zsh
Resolving                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Querying                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Testing changes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Finished                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Fatal error: nothing provides /bin/zsh needed by zsh-5.0.2+mer1-1.2.2.jolla.armv7hl
root@Sailfish:/home/nemo> 

Why is /bin/zsh required by the package zsh which should provide /bin/zsh ?
Seems like a packaging bug?

EXPECTED RESULT:

Z Shell successfully installed

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

This error exists at least since (i think) 3.0.3 Hossa. I tried it before the update to Rokua / 3.3.0.16 and it also didn’t work.

root@Sailfish:/home/nemo> pkcon repo-list      
Getting repositories                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Finished                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 Enabled    adaptation0               adaptation0
 Enabled    adaptation1               adaptation1
 Enabled    aliendalvik               aliendalvik
 Enabled    apps                      apps
 Enabled    customer-jolla            customer-jolla
 Enabled    hotfixes                  hotfixes
 Enabled    jolla                     jolla
 Enabled    sailfish-eas              sailfish-eas
 Enabled    store                     store
 Enabled    xt9                       xt9
3 Likes

I don’t know why it happens, but if you want to use zsh there are versions available from OpenRepos which do work, like https://openrepos.net/content/laoidheach/zsh

1 Like

Well, I don’t really enjoy installing random binaries from the internet without being sure what’s inside (aka the way I used to installed software when using Windows). But thanks for the reply!

I finally found the time to read the manpages and tried a workaround:
Just download the .rpm :

pkcon download . zsh

and install it, ignoring the dependencies:

rpm --install --nodeps zsh-5.0.2+mer1-1.2.2.jolla.armv7hl.rpm

Btw: rpm --query --requires shows that /bin/zsh is indeed a dependency of the zsh package, so it’s a normal packaging bug…

The rpm spec file is lacking a Provides: /bin/zsh line. I’m proposing a MR to solve this, see :

3 Likes

MR has been accepted, but @mattikosola said that zsh will not be included in the available packages for 3.4.0. That’s sad : (