Incoming call doesn't wake up the screen

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): so far twice
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 3.4.0.24
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Xperia X
UI LANGUAGE: Estonian
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

Phone rings but the screen is black. After second press on the power button the screen wakes but after answering the call goes black again immediately.

PRECONDITIONS:

No idea.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Don’t know…

EXPECTED RESULT:

ACTUAL RESULT:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

Is the proximity sensor working? I had similar isues with the Xperia 10 when the proximity sensor stopped working (what happens from time to time)

1 Like

I think so or at least I haven’t noticed any other problem with proximity sensor…

Display should wake up automatically - unless proximity sensor is covered.

Incoming call -> 1st power key press = silences ringing even if display is off.

After which -> 2nd power key press = regular display wakeup (by default this is not affected by proximity sensor).

Answering a call -> in call proximity blanking rules apply -> display blanks = what would happen if proximity sensor is covered.

So basically your symptoms are exact match for what one would expect to happen if proximity sensor is misbehaving and constantly reporting covered state.

Some of the other situations might not be so easy to spot. But have you had any problems with alarms? Proximity sensor woes could case similar issues as you had with call: alarm rings, display does not come up, alarm needs to be snoozed with power key, after which display can be woken up with power key.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed that with the alarm but I don’t use alarm so often.
If the problem is caused by the proximity sensor and will go worse, is there some kind of fix for that or only a new phone?

Typically (in my case) a simple reboot solved the problem for a while; a couple of days or weeks. In case you have enabled the developer mode you can use csd to check the hardware. Just type “csd” in the terminal